Dinoflagellates - What I learned over the years to deal with it

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this thread but I keep seeing comments about carbon dosing and bacteria dosing. What kind of bacteria are we talking about, I agree that diversity helps but most of what I see out there are nitrifying bacteria and just not sure that is what we want. Really would like more insight and information into the carbon/bacteria dosing side of things.

WRT bacteria dosing, I hear you. Not many of us (me included) really have a good grasp on what is in all these bottles. I regard them all as just nitrifiers. I will include a link to a study thread and maybe you can draw some conclusions.
I think of @taricha and @flampton as the forum thought leaders on the subject.

I prefer various live rock sources for my bacterial diversity.

As to carbon dosing there are many with more experience than me. I have done it over the years. It always seems to bring down nitrates and not PO4 (for me). The result is my nutrients get out of whack with each other and I get cyano for a couple months.

*edit. Just saw @Reef and Dive post so I need to go read up on Redfield I guess.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon usage is not restricted to nitrifying bacteria.

We are talking here about saprophytic bacteria. They also take advantage of carbon dosing to multiply, so this is why I advocate carbon dosing together with this type of bacteria.

This thread I posted long ago can provide even better insight on the role of carbon:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/redfield-ratio-revisited-–-what-are-we-doing-wrong.742503/
Understand but that is my point, probably because I am a newbie but is there a source of saprophytic bacteria that you can add or do they already exist in your tank and multiply when you have a carbon source? What I am trying to understand is how would one dose saprophytic bacteria?

Just trying to understand, thanks. :)

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WRT bacteria dosing, I hear you. Not many of us (me included) really have a good grasp on what is in all these bottles. I regard them all as just nitrifiers. I will include a link to a study thread and maybe you can draw some conclusions.
I think of @taricha and @flampton as the forum thought leaders on the subject.

I prefer various live rock sources for my bacterial diversity.

As to carbon dosing there are many with more experience than me. I have done it over the years. It always seems to bring down nitrates and not PO4 (for me). The result is my nutrients get out of whack with each other and I get cyano for a couple months.

*edit. Just saw @Reef and Dive post so I need to go read up on Redfield I guess.
I did add some KP live rock but when you say other sources what else do you trust and go with. The main issue I have with live rock is then you are messing with all of the hitchhikers that come along with it, always something. Just wanting to get more information about who are you using for live rock etc, LFS or other.

Thanks

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add some KP live rock but when you say other sources what else do you trust and go with. The main issue I have with live rock is then you are messing with all of the hitchhikers that come along with it, always something. Just wanting to get more information about who are you using for live rock etc, LFS or other.

Thanks
The three Florida sources are all good IMO. I tend to keep them in a lighted, flowing, heated vat for a while to assess what is in/on the rock.

I have also started with LFS rock several times without any pest issues. It is always sump rock so much less likely to have any aiptasia

OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand but that is my point, probably because I am a newbie but is there a source of saprophytic bacteria that you can add or do they already exist in your tank and multiply when you have a carbon source? What I am trying to understand is how would one dose saprophytic bacteria?

Just trying to understand, thanks. :)

Yes. Many bacterial products have specific groups of saprophytic bacteria, eg: Dr Tim Waste Away, Live rock enhance, Fauna Rebiotic, Special Blend, Pristine, MB7 etc…

Most bacteria are not actually cultivated by those companies, they actually select specific bacteria cultivated for specific purposes from mass bacteria production industries.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooooooooooook guys, I have A LOT of dino in my 1y old tank (never started properly, I would like to fix it).

430liters net (more or less)
po4: 0.04
no3: 0.75
si02 (RODI water): 0.29ppm

tried raising temp to 29°C: nothing changed
tried Dinoxal (it's not Dino X): nothing changed. I'm at day 5 of dosing
tried Cyano RX: nothing changed
i'll try Dino X from Fauna today, let's see

i'm trying, from yesterday, 250g of rowaphos, trying to lower po4 and si02 even more.

Any other idea ? Should I buy a microscope and check the dino type ? an UV lamp (55w) would fix ?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooooooooooook guys, I have A LOT of dino in my 1y old tank (never started properly, I would like to fix it).

i'm trying, from yesterday, 250g of rowaphos, trying to lower po4 and si02 even more.

Any other idea ? Should I buy a microscope and check the dino type ? an UV lamp (55w) would fix ?
I think you would be better served to go to the other Dino thread where there are more people to help you...

OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have pictures? And yes a microscopic image would help a lot.

OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be better served to go to the other Dino thread where there are more people to help you...

Yeah this topic is the best. A lot of people together, a lot of people who have studied dinos and dealt with it many times. And even a historical archive of cases.

Back