Dinoflagellates?

Arctic Artist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first tank a month and half ago, and thought I was having a diatom outbreak earlier this week, but now there are bubbles on the rock and strings with bubbles on them floating attached to the rock. My nitrates and phosphates have been 0 for the past week due to chemical filtration (which I've since removed). I tried the peroxide test and no bubbling occurred although it was old peroxide from 2015 so it may not be functional anymore. I don't have a coffee filter to do that test yet but I will tomorrow and will update then.

Based on looks alone is it possible to tell if its dinos or something else?

My current plan is to remove the rock (except the one my GSP is on) and scrub it down and dip in bleach solution, with the GSP rock I plan to scrub it in a bucket of water as best I can and put it back. I'm hoping with the phosphates and nitrates hopefully increasing along with the scrub down it may kill off the dino. I also have bottles of coralline algae being shipped on monday which may help introduce some biodiversity and out compete it.

The color is a rusty brown color that my phone can't pick up the exact color of and some rock has patches that are semi-green (shown in the last pic)

20200529_215705_001.jpg

20200529_215841.jpg

Other tank info in case it's relevent:

10 gallon, Canister filter, Hang on back with macro and a light, tank light is a current orbit marine IC, a simple inverted bottle top off, Pair of young juvenile clowns (one is slightly smaller than my thumb and the other is a decent bit smaller than the big one), 1 small hermit crab,

I do also have a record of my water test results over the past week if that would be helpful to know.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the macro level, it looks like dinos to me. Your idea of bleaching the rock is not really a sound solution. I would suggest doing some reading on the dino thread- others have tried your exact technique and are well documented with how poorly it goes :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a new tank and white sand and rocks. Just call it "the uglies" and ride it out. Lots of things will change as the live rock communities progress.

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let it run it’s course they will go away. Just blow them off the rocks with a baster and do a water change when your tank starts to stabilize they will just disappear have patience an stay the course. It can take a few weeks.

Glauber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure your nitrates are not 0 always that usually fiz mt problems

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha hello taricha, how are you?
Could you help me to identify this?
i dont know if is diatom or dinoflagell
369FE3BB-178F-499D-B63C-71678D4EAE22.jpeg
F0AB038F-DF76-4215-B54C-5C62A88CC99B.jpeg

ates

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you help me to identify this?
i dont know if is diatom or dinoflagell
I doubt that the cells in the microscope photo (likely diatoms) are what the brown mat material is in the tank shot (likely dinos). Can you microscope sample some brown from the mat itself - pipette up a little bit and get it on a slide?

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that the cells in the microscope photo (likely diatoms) are what the brown mat material is in the tank shot (likely dinos). Can you microscope sample some brown from the mat itself - pipette up a little bit and get it on a slide?
Hello @taricha.
I did it, i took the brown stuff from the sand and put it in the microscope

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @taricha.
I did it, i took the brown stuff from the sand and put it in the microscope
ok, and what you saw were just masses of those rounded rectangular cells? was there movement? can you record video (cell phone is fine) through the microscope?

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, and what you saw were just masses of those rounded rectangular cells? was there movement? can you record video (cell phone is fine) through the microscope?
Hello @taricha.
At the bottom of my first post after the photos is a video. I really don't see movement.

I had Ostreopsis in the past, and when I made water changes there were a dinoflagellates bloom, i eliminate it with a uv and one night before of those pictures i tried to rise my salinity because i was in 1.024, so i put more salt in the system and the next day it appear this brown jelly or algae

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back