Are dinos from..

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I and recommended to well over 100 people have done my method Successfully. My situation was too many but same can occur opposite. Light is a food source also for flagellates hence the blackout
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing contradicting answers on whether you get dinos from nutrients bottoming out vs too many nutrients. Which is it??
No one seems to know the answer to the question “what makes nuisance photosynthetic microorganisms suddenly proliferate for a given aquarium”. The current popular belief for a dinoflagellate bloom is low or depleted PO4, or low or depleted NO3, or both. The rational is that dinoflagellates just happen to be the only photosynthetic microorganism in an aquarium to tolerate these conditions and proliferate because other microorganisms die off and stop competing for limited nutrients in the aquarium. There are an equal number of beliefs about what causes diatoms and cyanobacteria. To this day no one has started 2 identical aquaria and managed to grow dinoflagellates in one but not the other AND replicated the results. All that being said, it is not a bad idea to maintain detectable PO4 and NO3 in an aquarium.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a full tank shot of your reef, let’s look for primers in the pics

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I and recommended to well over 100 people have done my method Successfully. My situation was too many but same can occur opposite. Light is a food source also for flagellates hence the blackout
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
And what filtration?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he was asking for pictures of the tank to look for visual indicators.

Anyways, I have always believed and understood it as @Dan_P explained. I have always corrected it by elevating N/P. I will say that since I have gone away from sand that my most recent build hasn't had an issue.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he was asking for pictures of the tank to look for visual indicators.

Anyways, I have always believed and understood it as @Dan_P explained. I have always corrected it by elevating N/P. I will say that since I have gone away from sand that my most recent build hasn't had an issue.
I've been dealing with dinos on and off since December, a pic won't help anything. I believe it's nutrients bottoming out from using rodi and not using supplements to put minerals back in the water. In my case anyways. Maybe I need to switch to a different salt that has a higher mineral count, idk.

Attachments

• 20210407_133330.jpg
    20210407_133330.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used bacter7 I'm assuming that's microbacter7 and from what I read that will lower nitrate and phosphate, which I'm having issues with being low already. I think my course of action is going to have to be dosing phosphate and then go with your lighting schedule and peroxide while adding alot of carbon and some filter floss. Fingers crossed as the dinos have been smothering corals so they're already not in the best of shape and I have started losing inverts this week.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I haven't used bacter7 I'm assuming that's microbacter7 and from what I read that will lower nitrate and phosphate, which I'm having issues with being low already. I think my course of action is going to have to be dosing phosphate and then go with your lighting schedule and peroxide while adding alot of carbon and some filter floss. Fingers crossed as the dinos have been smothering corals so they're already not in the best of shape and I have started losing inverts this week.
Trust what is written - It works. Dont worry about phos at this time. My phos is near zero and im sure youve seen my tanks !!
MicroBacter- yes

600g progress j.jpg 600g progress k.jpg 660g 3.30d.jpg 660g 2.6.21c.jpg

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust what is written - It works. Dont worry about phos at this time. My phos is near zero and im sure youve seen my tanks !!
MicroBacter- yes

600g progress j.jpg 600g progress k.jpg
MicroBacter- yes

600g progress j.jpg 600g progress k.jpg 660g 3.30d.jpg 660g 2.6.21c.jpg
Ok then. I think I will do it. I'm just so nervous. Maybe I will video the process and we can all see how it goes down haha.
660g 3.30d.jpg 660g 2.6.21c.jpg

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just letting you know I'm on day 4 of your plan now and things are looking better! My snails are out and about alot more and sand bed looks great! No losses and nothing seems to be in distress Thank you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just letting you know I'm on day 4 of your plan now and things are looking better! My snails are out and about alot more and sand bed looks great! No losses and nothing seems to be in distress Thank you
Fantastic!! Keep it rolling

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back