Dinos? Algae ID

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I think I know what Im dealing here with, just likely more in denial than anything. Can someone ID this? I know this is most likely Dinos, but hoping someone says its just hair algae :D. I initially thought it wasHair algae but now I think there is somealgae but the dinos are hiding among them and on the sand bed. Unfortunately I dont have a microscope.

red sea max e 170: 4.5 mo old
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: roughly 0-5ppm
Have not checked calcium, mag, phos, or alkalinity.
I have done 2 water changes throughout the past two days thinking at first, it was algae taking up nitrates thus leaving me with only trace amounts.
I use tropic marin pro, two 12.5% water changes lst two days with some slight vacuuming
Weekly 25% usually
Just replaced carbon and chemi pure yesterday, filter floss replaced weekly
Also if anyone has guidance for trx with H202 (to be done safely with zoas, blue star leapord wrasse, starty blenny, clowns, flame angel) that would be great.
I already switched my reefled 90 to 25% blues with 0% white for the foreseeable future

thanks guys!

D407627D-CC14-4CB6-A22C-BAC1A114670A.jpeg 4486DA23-FF4C-4457-9834-8C942881C80A.jpeg 0F8A7B70-FAB1-4025-8390-2526B083041C.jpeg 655C53ED-6184-4B77-B6B8-2EC8078A2518.jpeg

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily @MissMermaid is the best and ordered me a microscope from Kohls 100x-1200x magnification to be picked up in two hours, so hopefully I can get a pic under the scope

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it disappear at night and come back after the lights turn on? That’s the dinos I had when my nitrate and phos dropped to zero. I battled it for a week then I finally started dosing nitrate and phosphate and added a UV sterilizer and it was gone in a few days

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it disappear at night and come back after the lights turn on? That’s the dinos I had when my nitrate and phos dropped to zero. I battled it for a week then I finally started dosing nitrate and phosphate and added a UV sterilizer and it was gone in a few days
Doesnt dissapear but I did do that test earlier and it improves quite a bit… alas I checked under the microscope, does appear to be dinos to me. Ill post a pick, but if anyone can help ID the specific Dinos that would be great.

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is, not the best quality but..

Attachments

• 93158B95-B7D1-4A5A-BDF2-181FDADA6732.jpeg
    93158B95-B7D1-4A5A-BDF2-181FDADA6732.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6741.MOV
    20.7 MB

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it twice. Both different types of Dino and I had no clue what species they were either. The first time i beat it in 2-3 weeks with over feeding and this second round I beat with dosing and UV sterilizer. Both times I also cut back on water changes and when I did do water changes, I was less thorough in my cleaning mainly just blowing and sucking what dinos I could with a really small vacuum so I wasn’t sucking out so much water

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it twice. Both different types of Dino and I had no clue what species they were either. The first time i beat it in 2-3 weeks with over feeding and this second round I beat with dosing and UV sterilizer. Both times I also cut back on water changes and when I did do water changes, I was less thorough in my cleaning mainly just blowing and sucking what dinos I could with a really small vacuum so I wasn’t sucking out so much water
Thats my initial plan, stop doing the weekly water changes and maybe do biweekly or when nitrates start creeping up past 10, im guessing I should probably remove my chemipure and carbon, only use filter floss and over feed

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my initial plan, stop doing the weekly water changes and maybe do biweekly or when nitrates start creeping up past 10, im guessing I should probably remove my chemipure and carbon, only use filter floss and over feed
Yea I’d remove those. Get a phosphate test kit as well if you can and let some of that other green algae grow to help outcompete the dinos.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back