Dinos? Diatoms? cyano? Help!

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last month I’ve been dealing with algae/bacteria growth on my sandbed. Switched from biweekly water changes to weekly. Then started syphoning in between. Gets worse as lights are on during day and recedes at night. I’ve dealt with cyano before. While this is more of a rust than the red/purple color, it had the hallmarks of cyano so 36 hours ago I started a dose of Chemiclean. However as of now I am not seeing any change, which now has me thinking I miss IDed. Given my parameters (below)not sure if it is dynos. Also not seeing any sign of this on the rocks. Pics below. Appreciate any thoughts, advice or help! Thanks in advance.

parameters consistent over last month:
Salinity 1.026
Nitrates: 11.6
Phosphate: 0.07
DkH: 8.5
Cal: 440
PH: 8.1

7CFD7BD0-D09E-42C4-8B1B-A6681F63FD24.jpeg 3D920078-C575-40E2-BAFF-11AD8F2B3CD4.jpeg A93C4602-8A3E-4906-A3FC-9E707E33523F.jpeg 766D50B3-1EF7-4472-9217-E56913AD19AF.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is the tank

those additives are wrecking your microbial base we should cease dosing until we determine if you have a large or small reef

the remediation steps are polar opposite between large and small tanks

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll tell you inside info on owning a larger nano

you have different access ability than large tankers

they make everything about chemistry lol and require nano owners to comply

that’s the most important thread in my opinion for owners of nanos because it’s complete control of a system. No chems, no testing no hoping and hesitating

there is no question if it’s safe, I have two more 50 page threads on rip cleans. The reason we start there, vs arrive there last place option two months in, is because total mass export gives you the upper hand. Any delay is not beneficial as the growth is underway and those corals are worth saving now, proactively

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 90% of people will refuse the work, continue on with indirect works avoiding tank surgery out of invented fear. We will watch them literally swing all parameters wildly with meds and dosers bleaching out corals, they’ll resist until the tank is nearly dead in most all cases. Something in reef training freezes us to inaction: that’s what the invasion needs.

this is a fifty page thread of folks doing the exact same mode, that 5 pager above is a shorter summary. this below is for almost a decade of pattern outcomes on rip cleans, complete happiness:

you can’t get more active than that above.

for sure, other methods / no work methods can work, about ten percent of the time. Folks above are taking rip cleans because it refuses all invasion, and works about 98% of the time. There is zero percent risk from rip cleans regarding tank wipeouts and coral bleaching, so what seems like the harsh mode is actually the safest option in reefing, it’s why no chemi clean threads are at our level of compliance.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back