OP
OP
S

Spui612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have been dosing NO3 and PO4 and it is creeping up ever so slowly. Is this normal? I have been dosing since mid January. Dinos are gone and coral is looking much better.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have been dosing NO3 and PO4 and it is creeping up ever so slowly. Is this normal? I have been dosing since mid January. Dinos are gone and coral is looking much better.
Cannot answer your question without the math of solution concentration, the dosage amount for your 50G, and your current readings.

But if your corals are happy and the dinos are at bay it might not matter much. Carry on.

OP
OP
S

Spui612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot answer your question without the math of solution concentration, the dosage amount for your 50G, and your current readings.

But if your corals are happy and the dinos are at bay it might not matter much. Carry on.
The NeoPhos, I have been adding 50G*0.03*3.785=5.6mL a little more than a capful. The NeoNitro 50g*5*0.1261=31mL about 6 capfuls. Honestly I have been adding 3 capfuls of NeoNitro, I just realized after doing the calculation it should be 6 not 3.

Corals are doing better but still don't have a lot of extension.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NeoPhos, I have been adding 50G*0.03*3.785=5.6mL a little more than a capful. The NeoNitro 50g*5*0.1261=31mL about 6 capfuls. Honestly I have been adding 3 capfuls of NeoNitro, I just realized after doing the calculation it should be 6 not 3.

Corals are doing better but still don't have a lot of extension.

I do not know what creeping means, but there's no reason to dose more if it is moving more slowly than you want. Forget the recommended dose and look to actual values in the tank. Especially for phosphate, dose calculations are nearly worthless except to prevent massive overdosing on the first dose.

OP
OP
S

Spui612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what creeping means, but there's no reason to dose more if it is moving more slowly than you want. Forget the recommended dose and look to actual values in the tank. Especially for phosphate, dose calculations are nearly worthless except to prevent massive overdosing on the first dose.
So you are saying to up the amounts I am adding?

OP
OP
S

Spui612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update and hopefully a little help. I am finally getting my NO3 and PO4 up but now I am seeing a large amount of bubble algae. When I read about bubble algae I see the reason it develops is overabundance of nutrients. When I test I am still quite low for Nitrates and Phosphates, 2ppm NO3 and 0.03ppm PO4. I can't win. Anyone have any advice on dealing with bubble algae? Two weeks in a row I have removed what I can see and it just keeps coming back. I don't want it to become a huge issue.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubble algae I see the reason it develops is overabundance of nutrients. When I test I am still quite low for Nitrates and Phosphates, 2ppm NO3 and 0.03ppm PO4. I can't win. Anyone have any advice on dealing with bubble algae? Two weeks in a row I have removed what I can see and it just keeps coming back. I don't want it to become a huge issue.
That is patently false. Bubble algae can flourish with very limited nutrient for sure.

Manual removal is best. I have a pointy stick zip tied to a syphon hose. Once a week. Pain in the bum.
Throw in a handful or emeralds. Can be helpful but not miraculous.

Some have done long courses of Vibrant. I have expensive acropora so that isn't an option for me. Also, I would not recommend Vibrant without higher nutrient levels.

Hope that is helpful.

OP
OP
S

Spui612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is patently false. Bubble algae can flourish with very limited nutrient for sure.

Manual removal is best. I have a pointy stick zip tied to a syphon hose. Once a week. Pain in the bum.
Throw in a handful or emeralds. Can be helpful but not miraculous.

Some have done long courses of Vibrant. I have expensive acropora so that isn't an option for me. Also, I would not recommend Vibrant without higher nutrient levels.

Hope that is helpful.
Yes very helpful. Thanks

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very helpful. Thanks
Forgot to mention. If you have sufficient volume for keeping a larger one spot foxface, that fish will crush bubble algae. Anything soft and green they will crush. Big ones are always grazing. I have 4 tanks. Two with foxface and two without. A night and day difference in bubble presence.

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update and hopefully a little help. I am finally getting my NO3 and PO4 up but now I am seeing a large amount of bubble algae. When I read about bubble algae I see the reason it develops is overabundance of nutrients. When I test I am still quite low for Nitrates and Phosphates, 2ppm NO3 and 0.03ppm PO4. I can't win. Anyone have any advice on dealing with bubble algae? Two weeks in a row I have removed what I can see and it just keeps coming back. I don't want it to become a huge issue.
Here is a link to a bubble algae removal tool - 3D printed. I haven't tried it but there are a few positive reviews on the website.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back