Dinos, hair algae, and nutrient issues

Orey_P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 29 gal tall reef tank set up for about a year now and I’m still having issues. Throughout my entire time of keeping reef tanks I’ve had dinoflagellates. Right now I’ve got green hair algae covering the rocks, and dinos covering the hair algae. On top of that, My corals are losing nutrients because of the lack of water changes I’ve done to get rid of dinos. I could really use some help with this.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of removing the rock and cleaning it really well and using a UV?

OP
OP
Orey_P

Orey_P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of removing the rock and cleaning it really well and using a UV?
When I started this tank up, I scrubbed everything with peroxide, bus I didn’t think about UV. But that definitely makes sense to kill it and prevent it with UV.

OP
OP
Orey_P

Orey_P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of any UV sterilizers you would recommend for a 30 gallon?

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of any UV sterilizers you would recommend for a 30 gallon? I’m running a coralife biocube/mini uv sterilizer but doesn’t seem to be helping. Rodi water or nutri sea water for water changes/ato. Been struggling with higher nitrates for months and no matter what I do and I’ve tried everything. Phosphates near zero. So frustrating.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UVs are technically all anecdotally-sized for dinos. They seem to work, but there's no published data on UV dose for the common dinos we see that I've found yet. I defer to the experience of others and what worked for them.

(Hint, hint, for any budding marine biologists out there that need a research topic. The industry needs these data.)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the golden type Dinos, Dino-X worked well for me.
3 doses over 6 days and gone.

You need to make sure nutrients are in balance first, but the stuff eradicated all of mine, was all over the sand through the day, gone at night.

It’s been a month now after treatment. Sands white.

OP
OP
Orey_P

Orey_P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up getting a small UV sterilizer, and it worked wonders. Completely cleared up within three days. This update is very late, so as of right now I’m starting a new frag farm and finally having success. Thank you all for your insight. Also, that is a really good idea of dinoflagellate research like privateye said, maybe some future research in that for me.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide! My tank exploded in dinos after 2 months, one week in to peroxide and they are 80% gone, I use 2 teaspoons morning and night in my 109 gallon.

My new corals seem to love it too! My birdsnest and scroll are especially fluffy.

OP
OP
Orey_P

Orey_P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered peroxide, but I didn’t want to risk it with my Squamosa clam in the tank.

Marco9926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It many take few weeks but, never heard about ATS?
This will improve your sistem stability and fix some nutrient issue!
Sorry, it’s italian but………..
ATS Acquario Marino UPDATE#3

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back