Dinos? If so what kind and what shall I do?

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having what I think its Dinos. Need help identifying and plan of action. . My tank is a 8 month old 40G that started fresh with new dry rock and dry sand. My problem is that I had the Nitrates and Phosphates at zero. Finally got my Phosphates but Nitrates are very slowly going up. Currently dosing NeoNitro. Also slow down on water changes and increased feeding to x3 a day. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Osteo
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ostreopsis. UV is the treatment of choice and can eliminate these in a matter of days (sometimes faster). They will go in to the water column at night on their own. If you have corals I would not recommend a black out but you can reduce the length of your photoperiod for a couple of days. UV needs to be about 1 watt/3 gallons of display volume and it's best if it's plumbed from the display back to the display with a dedicated pump. Flow through the UV unit needs to be slow for maximum contact time. I aim for flow of 1-3 times the display volume.

Continue your efforts at elevating NO3 and PO4.

Above all, run GAC as ostreopsis is the most toxic dino. Doing so could save some cleanup crew and corals. Fish are not subject to the toxicity that I've noted.

OP
OP
plc001

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Osteo
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
Following up questions, should I do my regular water changes? I'm schedule for a 15% tomorrow, but only on day 3 of the 5. After the five I plan to ramp up the lights. If needed can this be repeated? if so how far apart? Thanks for your time and advice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes you can and add bacteria as scheduled. I’m sure tank looking better already
Following up questions, should I do my regular water changes? I'm schedule for a 15% tomorrow, but only on day 3 of the 5. After the five I plan to ramp up the lights. If needed can this be repeated? if so how far apart? Thanks for your time and advice.

OP
OP
plc001

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, slowly winning the battle with ostreopsis. My phosphate and nitrate were zero.
What I have done:

Increase my nitrate to 5ppm
Increase my nitrate to .07ppm
Dosed phytoplankton and copepods
Dosed hydrogen peroxide
Changed activated carbon weekly
And finally added an UV.

My problem now its Green Hair algae, but not sure how to approach it. Do not really want to lower my nutrients in fear that the ostreopsis come back.

What do you recommend?

Back