Dinos or Diatoms (3 month old tank)

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. 3 month old tank here, haven't really much in terms of algae yet, but this stuff just exploded recently, too much my CuC to keep up with. I THINK this is diatoms, and if so, just ride it out? I'll brush the rocks and vac the sand tomorrow during weekly water change.

Water parameters:

Tank size: 120 gallon
Sump size: 40 gallon
Salinity: 1.025-1.026
NO3: 5ppm
P04: 0.01 (dosing trisodium phosphate to maintain detectable levels)
Alkalinity: 9.3dKh
Calcium: 510 ppm
Magnesium: 1400 ppm
Temperature: 77.8°F

Using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Doing roughly 10% weekly water changes. Changing filter sock every 3 to 4 days, protein skimmer running, cheato algae in refugium. CuC consists of reef cleaners standard bundle for a 40 gallon (didn't want them to starve right off the bat), more CuC on the way.

PXL_20220423_222935410.NIGHT.jpg

Attachments

• InShot_20220423_223559235.mp4
    21.6 MB
OP
OP
Yoder

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the image (not enough detail), but I'm leaning towards diatoms - especially if your tank never really went through the "ugly stage".
I pray it is! The video has some better detail, but sadly I don't have a microscope (yet).

OP
OP
Yoder

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted also the AskBRS Facebook group, and everyone is convinced it's dinos. Based on the pics above though, I still think it's diatoms. I vacced the rocks and sand bed yesterday, and it sure looks a lot better!

Facebook thread

OP
OP
Yoder

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinosaurs and cyano is what I see !!!
I blowed it off with a turkey baster, and it blows off like dust. Afterwards I vacuumed the sandbed, and changed my filter sock, and it's gotten a ton better.

I'm told dinos are more like sticky snot than dust.

Also, been dosing Microbacter7 daily, even though I did that after the initial cycle. Can't say for sure that's contributing to it looking better, but I'll keep doing it until my 2L runs out.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same stage on mine and microbacter7 really did help out a lot i was dosing everyday and now am weekly if not everyother and tank looks great cuc really does a lot as well....

OP
OP
Yoder

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same stage on mine and microbacter7 really did help out a lot i was dosing everyday and now am weekly if not everyother and tank looks great cuc really does a lot as well....
I'm cuc'ed to the max I think, I've got every manner of snail from ReefCleaners, plus 2 conch's, cleaner shrimp, and an emerald crab. My lawnmower blenny doesn't do much, but he's fun to watch.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a diamond watchman goby and I will be honest best investment for sand turning ever does an amazing job with it couldnt ask for anything more!!

OP
OP
Yoder

Yoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a diamond watchman goby and I will be honest best investment for sand turning ever does an amazing job with it couldnt ask for anything more!!
I've got one of those too, but he just started quarantine. I didn't get him first because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough in the sand bed for him to eat.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blowed it off with a turkey baster, and it blows off like dust. Afterwards I vacuumed the sandbed, and changed my filter sock, and it's gotten a ton better.

I'm told dinos are more like sticky snot than dust.

Also, been dosing Microbacter7 daily, even though I did that after the initial cycle. Can't say for sure that's contributing to it looking better, but I'll keep doing it until my 2L runs out.
Never mind , my bad , I was looking at the pics that black sun posted of examples and thought it was yours . Sorry !!! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: Yours look like diatoms and cyano . no dinosaurs as of yet .

Last edited:

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one of those too, but he just started quarantine. I didn't get him first because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough in the sand bed for him to eat.
You can def. Dose copepods that will help or put in refugium as well and feed those with phytos they will multiply out and give another good source for the watchman to eat as well Pablo(watchman) loves his copepod supplement and goes crazy over it i introduce at night with 10 to 15 min feed timer.

Back