OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve
If your phos is 0 that could be the reason the Dino's appeared and now why the chaeto growth has slowed down
purchased an ULR Phosphate checker as my API test won’t pick up a reading

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I mean, they seem to have died down since doing larger water changes, I understand why though because water changes remove phosphates and nitrates. But as it stands at the moment they seem to be slowing down, the chaeto isn’t growing much at the moment tho
If this stuff still continues and gives a foul odor to your tank, maybe consider getting a UV. Usually keeps all those types of micro algae populations down.

The best way to ID dinos properly without a microscope. Take some out, swish it up in a cup and if it forms together again as a blob withen a few minutes, its for sure dinos. Witch in your case, does look like it to me since I can see it's spider lines on your rock. UV and socks/floss Is your best option for getting rid of it.

Keep your regulator routine of what you were doing, if its already going away, your probably on the right path. Dinos suck, UV and floss worked out for plenty of people including me. Hope eventually it goes away for you!

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is not as effective for amphidinium since they dont go into the water column at night, but great idea if ostreopsis

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Easier to do this than playing with levels and add this and add that:
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Last edited:

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of my old salt mixing pumps circulating the sump’s water now, it was a hands on job before just rotating the chaeto every day but I soon got bored. Saturday is ny water change day, I was doing 10% water changes but i’ve done 20% since turning the sump lights on and the algae turned up, but it seems to be going down, i’ll get something flat edged in there tomorrow to really clear the sump up! Thanks for your help!
Here anytime!
You have any fellow reefers by you that can help with anything? I always try and find a fellow reefer who’s close to see what they think too. Sometimes someone coming out to look and help is much better than typing words. I love when I can get one on one help anytime! Seriously, we’re all here for you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API one has huge ranges doesn't it? Even something like a salifert kit would be better in the mean time
My API test goes as low as 1, mine isn’t picking anything up because it’s below 1

Back