Dinos or diatoms...

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread 9824512 about this topic!

Out of nowhere either dinos or diatoms entered my tank about 3 months ago. Now that I think about it, this stuff started taking over at the same time the few spots of cyano on my live rock suddenly disappeared. Started out as a light dusting on the sand bed and has developed into nasty slimy looking patches on the sand bed. If I blow the stuff off with a turkey baster my sand is covered again within mere minutes. It doesn't disappear at night. Unfortunately some of the stuff that's blown off attaches to my gorgonians and starts growing there. So I'm now at the point that I want it gone before it starts choking out corals.

My nutrients are - as they've always been - high. Phosphates are surprisingly high at 0.5 and nitrates are a steady 25ish. I'm unsure if my phosphate reading is correct. I usually use a seachem phosphates kit, which gives me almost the same number my icp tests do. I ran out though and picked up a salifert test kit. I did a 3 day blackout 2 weeks ago in hopes that would solve things, but it hasn't made a dent at all. When the lights came back on the stuff was still on my sand bed.

Questions:
- Does the disappearing of cyano have anything to do with this stuff taking over?
- Assuming my phosphates have actually increased in the last few months, could that suddenly cause a bloom? My phosphates have never been below 0.1. Assuming my phosphates have actually always been this high, what could've caused the sudden bloom in that case?
- Am I correct in thinking these are diatoms, since I'm dealing with high nutrients here and the stuff not going in the water column at night? Do diatoms grow to be slimy and cover corals?
- As I'm writing this I'm thinking it might have something do with my rodi water perhaps? I've got a simple aqua medic easy line with added silicate filter, which has been running since May last year. My water pressure isn't very high and I'm not using a booster pump. Any chance my filters are due for replacement?

Edit: this is what it looks like in the morning. I feel like it gets worse in the afternoon when the t5 bulbs turn on. Bulbs are 4 months old.
20220207_112000.jpg

20220207_111953.jpg

Edit2: on the gorgs:
20220207_114637.jpg
20220207_114630.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi see a sign of cyano and it generally is due to low flow, over feeding, high nitrate and/or phosphate and other factors
Reducing white light intensity will help
Also adding liquid bacteria such as micro bacter XLM daily at 1.5ml per 10 gallons will help

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi see a sign of cyano and it generally is due to low flow, over feeding, high nitrate and/or phosphate and other factors
Reducing white light intensity will help
Also adding liquid bacteria such as micro bacter XLM daily at 1.5ml per 10 gallons will help
Thanks for the suggestions. Isn't cyano usually red though? This stuff is brown/rust like in color. It's also - for some reason - mainly growing in higher flow areas. Lower flow areas and dead spots are surprisingly lacking algae growth. Haven't got anything growing on the rockwork either... Only grows on the sand bed and gorgonians if it can grab a hold.

Guess I'll start doing more effort keeping nutrients a bit lower and adding bacteria.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. Isn't cyano usually red though? This stuff is brown/rust like in color. It's also - for some reason - mainly growing in higher flow areas. Lower flow areas and dead spots are surprisingly lacking algae growth. Haven't got anything growing on the rockwork either... Only grows on the sand bed and gorgonians if it can grab a hold.

Guess I'll start doing more effort keeping nutrients a bit lower and adding bacteria.
Cyano- red, brown, green or even yellow

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back