Dinos or Diatoms?

Madkix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like Diatoms to me but I'm horrible at IDing, everything looks so similar to my untrained eyes...
IMG-0926.jpg

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using API test kit-
pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Using Hanna Checkers-
Phosphate 0.01ppm
Alkalinity dKH 11.8

Salinity 35ppt
TDS on RODI is showing 0
yeah you need to bring your po4 and no3 up. if you can't through feeding, start dosing neophos and neonitro. get po4 to .1 and nitrates above 10. that's what I'm doing currently.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like dinos a bit more "snotty" than diatoms.
agreed. some parts look suspiciously dark for diatoms. But also it can always be both. Can be a mix of diatoms dinos, cyano and all kinds of fun things :p

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are flirting with disaster with that low of dissolved nutrients. A shot glass of skimmate( depending on volume, dumped back into the system can be a fast way to avoid zeros

OP
OP
M

Madkix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are flirting with disaster with that low of dissolved nutrients. A shot glass of skimmate( depending on volume, dumped back into the system can be a fast way to avoid zeros
My feedings have been minimal in an attempt to avoid algae outbreaks but clearly I've overdone it. The tank is a 40G IM Nuvo Pro 2 AIO. I do have some skimmate I can dump back in. I also considered turning off the skimmer entirely but I'm reading conflicting advice on that when it comes to dinos. I've read it helps aerate the water which is good in the fight against dinos, but it's also stripping nutrients out of the water... so I'm kind of at a loss.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back