Dinos?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its presented like dinos, a little thick to be diatoms. A microscope, even a kids one will confirm.
Looks just like my osteo Dinos

I have a bunch of acros won't this negatively affect them?
24 hr blackouts have never effected any of my corals including acros. Just make sure whatever you use to cover the tank is not letting any light through. It needs to be complete darkness to trick the osteos into the water column. Then UV will sterilize them if you have one.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll echo getting a cheap microscope to confirm. Different dinos have different methods of eradication. I tried lots of methods and most would reduce my problem, but it wasn’t until I confirmed under a microscope exactly what I had that I was able to attack them in a way the finally eradicated the problem.

One detail I want to add regarding UV is that they are more effective against dinos when used directly in the display tank rather than in a sump or other filter chamber.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll echo getting a cheap microscope to confirm. Different dinos have different methods of eradication. I tried lots of methods and most would reduce my problem, but it wasn’t until I confirmed under a microscope exactly what I had that I was able to attack them in a way the finally eradicated the problem.

One detail I want to add regarding UV is that they are more effective against dinos when used directly in the display tank rather than in a sump or other filter chamber.
For the price, you cannot beat the green killing machine, its cheap, no bells and whistles, and absolutely works for dinos.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoughts on if it also kills your good bacteria thus opening the door to other issues?
Any UV is going to kill bacteria that go through it. Even an inline one or a sump.

The bacteria we want are are on surfaces mostly sand and rock, not in the water column.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any UV is going to kill bacteria that go through it. Even an inline one or a sump.
I agree, I was just wondering if it solves one issue but starts another. I have considered adding one to my system more as a preventative measure.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I was just wondering if it solves one issue but starts another. I have considered adding one to my system more as a preventative measure.
Ive had no issues, it doesnt affect surface bacteria. And it whacked my dinos in conjunction with my other treatments for them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back