Dinos?

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like Dinos? Seems to stay in the sand bed. I vacuum the tank weekly and it goes away for a day or 2 then comes back. No snottiness like I have seen in most picture. The white part in the front of the glass is where I hit it with the glass cleaner and it seems to stay away for a bit. Thoughts are appreciated. Thank you! Tank is 2.5 years old. Parameters today are:
Alk = 8
Saliently = 1.025
NO3 = 3.3
PO4 = .01

tempImagemDOrYj.jpg

tempImageZfC45H.jpg

tempImageUHkWAc.jpg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell, white light pictures help a ton in sorting out if its dinos or not. Also how soon does it come back after you siphon it out. Does it go away at night?

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell, white light pictures help a ton in sorting out if it’s dinos or not. Also how soon does it come back after you siphon it out. Does it go away at night?
I get a clean sand bed for a day or two and then it’s back. I think it lessens at night, but I don’t think it fully goes away.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a clean sand bed for a day or two and then it’s back. I think it lessens at night, but I don’t think it fully goes away.
If it comes and goes that fast, it is probably dinos, if there is a significant reduction at night then its probably ostreopsis dinos. Only way to verify is to take a sample and view it under a microscope. What will help is reduce photo period on lights to no more than 4 hours, dose 1ml peroxide to 10gal of water daily, microbacter7 daily, a UV filter will help alot. Keep nitrates and phos at a minimum detectable. More preferably 5-10ppm nitrate and .1 phos helps alot. Gives algaes and beneficial bacteria something to feed off of and out compete dinos. If you are not going to use a UV, then dosing silicates every day to 2ppm will induce a diatom bloom, Diatoms are great at out competing dinos for resources.

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it comes and goes that fast, it is probably dinos, if there is a significant reduction at night then its probably ostreopsis dinos. Only way to verify is to take a sample and view it under a microscope. What will help is reduce photo period on lights to no more than 4 hours, dose 1ml peroxide to 10gal of water daily, microbacter7 daily, a UV filter will help alot. Keep nitrates and phos at a minimum detectable. More preferably 5-10ppm nitrate and .1 phos helps alot. Gives algaes and beneficial bacteria something to feed off of and out compete dinos. If you are not going to use a UV, then dosing silicates every day to 2ppm will induce a diatom bloom, Diatoms are great at out competing dinos for resources.
Well that’s some bummer of a news for a Monday. Thanks for the info.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have osteo Dinos in my system. As others have stated UV does help with these. What has been working for me is raising up nutrients a bit, weekly 24 hr blackouts and running a UV with slow flow. I am now doing the blackout once every other week and have very little dinos left. It's a slow battle but can be won. I found that bacterial additives actually seemed to make them worse.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have osteo Dinos in my system. As others have stated UV does help with these. What has been working for me is raising up nutrients a bit, weekly 24 hr blackouts and running a UV with slow flow. I am now doing the blackout once every other week and have very little dinos left. It's a slow battle but can be won. I found that bacterial additives actually seemed to make them worse.
While I have not done a full blackout, greatly reducing lighting period helped alot as well. I have only ostreopsis left, I had prorocentrum and ostreopsis in the beginning. Also dosing live phyto has seemed to help immensely.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have not done a full blackout, greatly reducing lighting period helped alot as well. I have only ostreopsis left, I had prorocentrum and ostreopsis in the beginning. Also dosing live phyto has seemed to help immensely.
Highly recommend trying a 24 hr total darkness blackout.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend trying a 24 hr total darkness blackout.
I agree it would be best, im on the outs on dinos though, almost no trace of them. I avoided a blackout because my tank is full of rock flowers, and they like to hop around if it stays dark too much. So I just did 3-4 hour photo periods with reduced intensity, and everything stayed put.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you probably have going on is silicate in your RODI so every water change or top off adds silicate to the tank causing diatoms on the sand. I have this issue and it was confirmed via ICP test. Get a test done to check your RODI. Diatoms are not that much of an issue really. They feed microfauna and are a natural barrier against dinos. I get a very light dusting here and there on my sand

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you probably have going on is silicate in your RODI so every water change or top off adds silicate to the tank causing diatoms on the sand. I have this issue and it was confirmed via ICP test. Get a test done to check your RODI. Diatoms are not that much of an issue really. They feed microfauna and are a natural barrier against dinos. I get a very light dusting here and there on my sand
I actually added a second DI to my RO system because I thought this may be the case. It has been about a month running 2 DI canisters and still having issues.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually added a second DI to my RO system because I thought this may be the case. It has been about a month running 2 DI canisters and still having issues.
I just replaced mine with a spectrapure silicate buster filter last week. I suspect you might have to wait until the residual is out of your system.

You need ICP to check it.

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced mine with a spectrapure silicate buster filter last week. I suspect you might have to wait until the residual is out of your system.

You need ICP to check it.
Well that would be a much better situation. Maybe I will do an ICP test to see if that's the case. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take some pictures under white light? That would settle the debate on what it is.

Back