Dip live rock from old tank to new tank?

Vasir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello gang,

Long time listener, first time caller when is comes to asking for advice.

I have a 40g aio aquatop cube that’s been running about 8 months and I’m buying a 26g RS nano peninsula…. Well 2 actually but 1 is coming today (and I’ll do a build thread I guess).
1 tank will transfer existing live stock I have in my 40g but my issue is this… I have more than a few bristle worms that I noticed last week. The biggest I think is about 6” and I named him David.
The more I look at the tank in the middle of the night, the more it freaks me out. Since the noticing of David and the freak out, I added a 2” 6-line wrasse and a bristleworm trap is on order for next week.

Now question time:
can I dip my own existing live rock before entering in the new tank to kill off the worms or am I killing off good things as well? I’d like to use new live sand too to minimize any bad guys transfer.

im hoping by using the old media I have and adding Dr Tim’s I can skip a cycle, especially if I use 50% tank water?

ideas?

Appreciate you all!

OP
OP
V

Vasir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those worms are a primary part of your detrivore/clean up crew. They can get into places other things cannot. I'd just leave them if it was me.
I’m torn on this because I read the same- but I think they bug my twin spot goby as he sleeps in his cave at night- he’s a little beat up looking and I know for sure the clowns leave him alone.

OP
OP
V

Vasir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's the worms if the fish looks a little 'beat up'. They don't see
I agree with @RedoubtReef. You just spent 8 months "curing" those rocks and establishing micro-biomes...not worth it to get rid of beneficial bristleworms imo as well

you guys are both likely right. The big bristle worms just freak me out…

otherwise the tank is thriving and it looking great- I just am doing the new tanks to be more esthetically pleasing.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello gang,

Long time listener, first time caller when is comes to asking for advice.

I have a 40g aio aquatop cube that’s been running about 8 months and I’m buying a 26g RS nano peninsula…. Well 2 actually but 1 is coming today (and I’ll do a build thread I guess).
1 tank will transfer existing live stock I have in my 40g but my issue is this… I have more than a few bristle worms that I noticed last week. The biggest I think is about 6” and I named him David.
The more I look at the tank in the middle of the night, the more it freaks me out. Since the noticing of David and the freak out, I added a 2” 6-line wrasse and a bristleworm trap is on order for next week.

Now question time:
can I dip my own existing live rock before entering in the new tank to kill off the worms or am I killing off good things as well? I’d like to use new live sand too to minimize any bad guys transfer.

im hoping by using the old media I have and adding Dr Tim’s I can skip a cycle, especially if I use 50% tank water?

ideas?

Appreciate you all!

You can dip the rock in fresh water if you really want to kill them. As for the old tank water, I wouldn't add much into the new tank. If you are wanting to keep some of the free floating bacteria and what not, I can't imagine you would need much.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded my tank I used the old water as well. But I have learned (I think) since then and now I'm under the impression the bacteria inhabits surfaces of rock, etc, thus creating "live rock" and if I did it over I would just mix fresh beautiful clean water for it :)

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back