Dip the live rocks and freshwater rinsed

Felipegillie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody, I’m new here and in the hobby, so here’s my question.
I have a well established tank used to be Fowler, and now I am introducing some corals.
And the things is, we bought some live rocks from somebody and we did the dip with Coral Rx pro. But when rinsing we used freshwater instead of saltwater… now I know better.
But apparently freshwater kills all the good bacteria right?
I putted in my quarantine tank, it’s been there for 3 days now. And the lvls on the water hasn’t changed so far.
So I do the cycle the quarantine tank with the new rocks? do I have to leave the rocks in there for a while, or can I just put the rocks in my display tank and let all the other things take care of it?
Thank you!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of anyone dipping live rock before. I mean, that would require a HUGE amount of dip, and I'd be afraid of not rinsing all of it off.
Most people will cure live rock in a large bin (like a garbage can) to let anything that's already died off, cycle off the rock in that water instead of your tank. However, with an already established tank, depending on the size of the tank, some people can put their LR directly into their system.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well established tank used to be Fowler, and now I am introducing some corals.
And the things is, we bought some live rocks from somebody and we did the dip with Coral Rx pro. But when rinsing we used freshwater instead of saltwater… now I know better.
I putted in my quarantine tank, it’s been there for 3 days now. And the lvls on the water hasn’t changed so far.
So I do the cycle the quarantine tank with the new rocks? do I have to leave the rocks in there for a while, or can I just put the rocks in my display tank and let all the other things take care of it?
Thank you!
There's very little chance that rinsing in freshwater will materially kill off nitrifiers. You are fine in that regard.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria are probably fine, but fw dip killed most of microfauna, who knows what was in that rock, and now is there dead and rotting.....

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Bacteria should be fine if the chemical dip dip didn't kill them. There are many variables. Filter capacity. How much rock. Did the rocks come from a tank with fish. I add live uncured rock to established tanks and give them plenty of flow. It works everytime. Good luck.

OP
OP
Felipegillie

Felipegillie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria should be fine if the chemical dip dip didn't kill them. There are many variables. Filter capacity. How much rock. Did the rocks come from a tank with fish. I add live uncured rock to established tanks and give them plenty of flow. It works everytime. Good luck.
They came from another persons tank, where the person got rid of the tank.
I putted it in my quarantine tank and I’m kinda cycling it.
I got 0.5 of ammonia and 0.25 of nitrites already.
So I’m just giving it some time. Once the ammonia and nitrites hit 0 I’ll transfer to my display.
And problems is checking the nitrates, but the water had 20+ nitrates already.
But ammonia and nitrites were 0.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They came from another persons tank, where the person got rid of the tank.
I putted it in my quarantine tank and I’m kinda cycling it.
I got 0.5 of ammonia and 0.25 of nitrites already.
So I’m just giving it some time. Once the ammonia and nitrites hit 0 I’ll transfer to my display.
And problems is checking the nitrates, but the water had 20+ nitrates already.
But ammonia and nitrites were 0.
Have you ever put copper or other medications in your quarantine tank? If that water has copper in it (or other medications), don't put those rocks in your main tank.
On the other hand, if it's just fresh saltwater, no worries then.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back