dipping Algae ? Parasite prevention.

Mrt88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
So this is a question I can’t find a decent answer to and when I do no one has any evidence to prove there point.
So I have my latest tank up and running. Dry rock dry sand.
First batch of first currently undergoing Qt and first corals have been dipped.

What about algae ? I’m going to run a large fuge on this tank. Yet I haven’t been able to find any help with dealing with any potential parasites on macro
Algae.

Last thing I want to do is have a clean tank the dump a load of cheato covered in the stuff.
Firstly can macro algae harbour parasites. And if so what’s the best course of action ?

Thanks all
Theo

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
So this is a question I can’t find a decent answer to and when I do no one has any evidence to prove there point.

What about algae ? I’m going to run a large fuge on this tank. Yet I haven’t been able to find any help with dealing with any potential parasites on macro
Algae.

Last thing I want to do is have a clean tank the dump a load of cheato covered in the stuff.
Firstly can macro algae harbour parasites. And if so what’s the best course of action ?

Thanks all
Theo

Hi Theo,

We sell clean and quarantined macroalgae at www.AlgaeBarn.com. We developed some pretty thorough methods for cleaning incoming macroalgae

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Algae.

Thanks all
Theo
IMO use @AlgaeBarn they are top notch clean and pest free. Absolutely never had an issue from them. Only thing is they are often sold out of cheato so just get on email list if they don’t have it and when they get it in they let you know. Only had to wait a week at most one time they are the Only place I buy any macro or pods and my filter filters food from I worried the same thing cause as far as I know it can definitely harbor pest Just never know and I wasn’t about to risk it. I have tried to qt other algae from lfs in qt tank before but usually can’t keep it alive for the fallow period to kill off pest. I think becase the tank is too clean. It’s not worth the trouble when I can buy it clean lol best of luck.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO use @AlgaeBarn they are top notch clean and pest free. Absolutely never had an issue from them. Only thing is they are often sold out of cheato so just get on email list if they don’t have it and when they get it in they let you know. Only had to wait a week at most one time they are the Only place I buy any macro or pods and my filter filters food from I worried the same thing cause as far as I know it can definitely harbor pest Just never know and I wasn’t about to risk it. I have tried to qt other algae from lfs in qt tank before but usually can’t keep it alive for the fallow period to kill off pest. I think becase the tank is too clean. It’s not worth the trouble when I can buy it clean lol best of luck.

Thanks for your kind words!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mrt88

While absolute sterilization is impossible, note disclaimer at Algaebarn website. For sanitation I suggest a 1 minute dip in fresh water. If you suspect flatworms, use flatworm exit with no harm to algae.

If you need back up corroboration, talk with Danna Riddle. He used algae filtration to operate an outdoor coral growout facility in Hawaii

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back