Dipping Coral before introducing to tank - what is the correct process

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
It has been years since I have had a tank and I remember doing a freshwater rinse, a coral rinse, a saltwater rinse and then usually glue onto the liverock location with a putty or superglue.

I do not currently have a tank.

BUT a neighbor is about a year into the hobby, has a small tank (20 gallons) and yesterday he dipped and then added two corals to his tank. Today he called me because his emerald crab and blue leg hermit died. Apparently he bought two new corals yesterday at the LFS. They advised him to use ReVive Coral Dip. So he took the corals home, dipped them in the ReVive and then put them directly in the tank. I told him I would have rinsed the corals in some tank water before putting them in the tank.

What is the correct way to introduce new corals in the tank?

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ReVive and soft brush on every coral and never rinse them and I have a QT nano - so only 3g of total water volume. I wouldn't imagine that it was the ReVive. We often associate recent changes to recent outcomes, but in this hobby it's very difficult to prove definitively. Every store I've ordered from in the past fifteen years has recommended a dip though. It has saved me tons of money and headaches. More importantly, I'd quarantine all new animals for at least a month.

With a few exceptions, I just do a temperature and alk equalization and then toss them in. I don't think I've ever done a zoa acclamation though :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive here. Temp acclimate in bag for twenty minutes then into a cup or Tupperware container with bag water. Add some tank water if needed to keep coral under water. Add proper amount of Revive and stir gently water around the coral for 5 mins. Remove the coral from the dip and rinse with tank water thoroughly and discard water. Add to tank. (Inspect the coral and plug I should say before adding. If it looks like there's any bugs left, repeat the dip)

I don't believe that the amount of Revive left on a coral after a dip would be enough to kill inverts, but that's just a guess. Depending on flow in the tank and water volume. But I've never just dipped and add to a tank without rinsing.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a video on coral quarantine a little while back - it was pretty good.

They had a 4-stip dip process for corals.

They said:

Coral Quarantine -

1. Get rid of coral parasites – using something like Coral RX

2. Get rid of mild bacterial infections – using something like Brightwell Frag Recover

3. Get rid of aggressive bacterial and fungal infections – using something like Tropic Marine Pro Coral Cure

4. Get rid of algae (on the coral and on the plug) – using hydrogen peroxide

Then put it in a QT.

Last edited:

iramack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive here. Temp acclimate in bag for twenty minutes then into a cup or Tupperware container with bag water. Add some tank water if needed to keep coral under water. Add proper amount of Revive and stir gently water around the coral for 5 mins. Remove the coral from the dip and rinse with tank water thoroughly and discard water. Add to tank. (Inspect the coral and plug I should say before adding. If it looks like there's any bugs left, repeat the dip)

I don't believe that the amount of Revive left on a coral after a dip would be enough to kill inverts, but that's just a guess. Depending on flow in the tank and water volume. But I've never just dipped and add to a tank without rinsing.
The directions for use are right there on the bottle. No rinse is required after dipping.
SM

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions for use are right there on the bottle. No rinse is required after dipping.
SM

Just explaining what I do. I rinse them because the pests may hitchhike back on the coral. Rinsing may flush them off. Your milage may vary.

Oz_Puffy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have previously done both a coral dip and followed with a rinse/dip in RODI water. I don’t think I’ve killed any as such, but a couple of goniopora did develop brown jelly within a day or so of dipping. Some I saved with subsequent iodine dips, some were too far gone before I could get some iodine.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use H2O2 (5%) dips on m Goni's. I mix 50mL of tank water with 15-20mL of hydrogen peroxide and dip for two minutes. It is amazing what strives to abort their coral occupation.

I also do I2 dips. I make a DIY Lugol's solution from I2 and KI. I add about 1mL of that to 50 mL tank water. I do 30-60 second dips. I never do I2 dips to a coral that has been just dipped in H2O2 (or visa versa). Give the coral a few days to recover.

The H2O2 dip helps to control GHA and other algae on Goni's. Sometimes it gives the Goni tissue the upper hand to fully recover.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know there is a correct way. Simply different people have different approaches and tolerances for risk. I don't want bayer/revive/coralrx/etc. in my tank, so I rinse afterwards before putting my corals in QT. Whether or not the concentration is enough to kill something is often secondary to my desire to be mindful of what I do and don't put into my tank.

Above all else, inspection of your coral is 95% of the "dipping process". Whether or not you QT, a dip will not remove eggs and many dips can "stun" certain pests (but not remove them from the coral/frag), so manual inspection is the most important and unforutnately, the most overlooked portion of the "dipping".

Bradley C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem reef dip in container of tank water, 5 minutes. Thought about rinsing, but haven't. On a 180 with (2) 30-gallon downflow / upflow tubs, can't imagine (and haven't observed) residual dip causing an issue. I don't quarantine, as my LFS's hold off selling until they feel secure.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a video on coral quarantine a little while back - it was pretty good.

They had a 4-stip dip process for corals.

They said:

Coral Quarantine -

1. Get rid of coral parasites – using something like Coral RX

2. Get rid of mild bacterial infections – using something like Brightwell Frag Recover

3. Get rid of aggressive bacterial and fungal infections – using something like Tropic Marine Pro Coral Cure

4. Get rid of algae (on the coral and on the plug) – using hydrogen peroxide

Then put it in a QT.
I don't do #2 or #3 when adding corals to my QT tank. but I definitely do #1 and #4

For #2 and 3 - I only use this if this is happening post add... they are good to have on hand

I do use Coral RX for my dip, not sure what the other brands are but I've had good luck in removing flatworms and other creepers that I couldn't identify (even crabs).

My process for dipping is this:
  • Drip/temp acclimate 1-2hrs
  • In a new bag or designated dip bag add one cup of water and 2.5ml of Coral RX
  • Dip acclimated piece for 5 mins, inspect periodically and if possible clean (unused toothbrush) or remove the frag plug
  • Remove from coral from dip and rinse coral in a clean cup of tank water
  • Inspect the dip bag for pests, if none then remove the contents of the dip bag.
  • IF pests are present I repeat the dipping process for another 5 mins. (Dump the old dip, clean bag, and repeat process)
  • Once complete if you have QT I'd rest the piece in there. If no QT I would at least recommend leaving the piece on a frag rack to rest. Full acclimation to a tank can tank a few days
I hydrogen peroxide only if I can't remove the frag plug to replace it with my own.

Let me know if you have questions...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back