Direct Feeding: What coral, invert or fish do you feed directly and why?

If you direct feed do you do it out of enjoyment or out of necessity?

• Enjoyment

Votes: 57 16.9%
  • Necessity

Votes: 40 11.8%
  • Both Enjoyment & Necessity

Votes: 160 47.3%
  • Don't Direct Feed

Votes: 79 23.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voter for Other: target feeding is neither enjoyment or an absolute necessity. Photosynthetic corals can survive without it for months IME, but they want to eat, eat well, and ask for more, and grow much better with feeding.

Mostly LPS, feeding piece by piece, and directed spray of small particles for small mouth corals (SPS and larger zoas).

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We direct feed our corals in my Mandarin/ reef tank and direct feed the seahorses n my wife's seahorse/ reef tank I first felt out of necessity but in truth its very therapeutic for me to have the wife's seahorses comeing up to say hello3 x a day. Seahorses must b fed a minimum of 3 x as their stomachs are very small, and some say non existant. We also direct feed our corals w everything turned off, as recommended, it gives me a chance to not only enjoy them but to examine them. Plus the gonipore, blueberry tree and cyneria need a little more. Not sure on the spelling on my meat coral and as I just finished a deep cleaning on seahorse tank I'm not looking it up right now. lol. The seahorses are fed mysis of course and all the corals r fed Red Sea reef nutrition A n B 2 x a day and the corals in Mandarin / reef tank are also fed the phyto w extra zoo. algae along w a daily dose of apacocyclops that they all like. I also raise my own live copeopods ( in a cheese ball container. lol) that I feed both tanks at different days about by weekly. Between the pair of mandrins, corals and 2 small but growing basket stars they eat like em up. Since using the reef nutrition and phytoplankton my nitrates have stayed between 2.9 and 6.5 consistently and have considered addimd 1 more feeding a day in Mandarin tank but honestly can't afford to right now. Well if I left something out I all answer bk. Happy Holliday's and Happy Reefing

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
target for my viewing enjoyment and to keep them healthy and growing.
IMG_3862.jpg
IMG_4143.jpg
IMG_4145.jpg
IMG_4148.jpg
Love the NPS. It’s why I find it necessary myself.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the oyster feast worked in terms of LPS growth? Was thinking about using it on some big euphyllia colonies
Can't really speak to growth, but my acans and other lps love oyster feast. They always have their feeders out after I put some into the tank. I did notice one of my acan colonies producing at least 5 babies on the underside, I have had that small colony for about 2 months.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the NPS. It’s why I find it necessary myself.
Feeding, yes. Direct feeding, not really necessary in my view. So far my NPS are doing fairly ok thru broadcast feeding.

I guess the many of those corals can't really eat all that much in one go. So a more regular and gentle feeding routine would probably be better.

Even when it comes to LPS. I believe the feed plenty even without showing all those flip out tentacles. For instance, this plate sided trachy.

PSX_20211216_124018.jpg

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I direct feed my golden dwarf moray eels. I also direct feed most of my LPS, but the only ones that I think actually need it are NPS and wilsonii and, perhaps, acanthophyllia. The acanthophyllia though perhaps only need direct feeding in a lower nutrient system.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the oyster feast worked in terms of LPS growth? Was thinking about using it on some big euphyllia colonies
My hammer frag is still very small, but I noticed greater polyp extension and better color after feeding Oyster Feast.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to enjoy some spot feeding here and there, but these guys turned it into a necessity, and that has sucked a little of the fun out.

Someone mentioned a blueberry coral, is that the blue fan coral I have pictured here? If so, how long have you had it, and how do you feed it?

20220105_222059.jpg

Last edited:

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to enjoy some spot feeding here and there, but these guys turned it into a necessity, and that has sucked a little of the fun out.

Someone mentioned a blueberry coral, is that the blue fan coral I have pictured here? If so, how long have you had it, and how do you feed it?

20220105_222059.jpg
very beautiful specimen

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very beautiful specimen
Thank you. This is my other non photosynthetic coral, I thought Inposted this but now I do not see it.

20220105_220806.jpg

There is some coral glue on his side where he picked up some diseased tissue a month or two back. He seems to be growing new heads along the bottom.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. And amazing on the new growthi. see super glue works, my wife and I use liquid skin, we use it on seahorses ßo we Al's uße it on all else.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
enjoy feeding LRS nano to my duncan...and have been target feeding the blood shrimp so it doesnt steal the food from the ricordea which is basically the doormat to the shrimps cave...but now i dont know if the shrimp bothers to forage at night as a result

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back