Direct Silicon Injection method, low iron 12mm glass tank build/My DIY aquarium build, the good the bad and the ugly! (Anoxic Filtration)

Rockfella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used 3mm tile spacers, pinched the nozzle and injected silicon in between the glass panes. All 3 tanks, 3 sumps done the same way. Neat and almost zero bubbles. No leak test needed as the seams are 2-4mm thick. Worked fine for me.

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Vivek.

18.jpg 21.jpg 43.jpg 44.jpg 73.jpg IMG_20211215_085930.jpg IMG_20211215_085934.jpg IMG_20211215_185324.jpg IMG_20211215_185358.jpg IMG_20211217_174614.jpg IMG_20211217_174627.jpg IMG_20211217_174645.jpg

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very neat and precise....

Gap is a bit on big side, way bigger tanks with injection method are buildt with 1-2mm gap, or course its lot harder to achieve, 4mm is too much, but it will work great....

OP
OP
Rockfella

Rockfella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As silicone doesn't bond to cured silicone, when do you remove the spacers to fill in the gaps
I use spacers just to ensure equal gaps between panes. Once I set everything up with clamps I remove all spacers and then inject silicon. It's a floating bottom design. The bottom pane sits in between the vertical ones/vertical panes are not siliconed on top of bottom pane. ADA style lol.

OP
OP
Rockfella

Rockfella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gap is a bit on big side, way bigger tanks with injection method are buildt with 1-2mm gap, or course its lot harder to achieve, 4mm is too much, but it will work great....
Thanks. I've seen thicker seams online. I use 3mm spacers. I've tried 2mm but it gets difficult to inject. 3mm seems perfect to me. Some gaps are 2mm some could be 4mm. It's a bit hard for glass cutters to cut glass with extreme precision.

Last edited:

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use spacers just to ensure equal gaps between panes. Once I set everything up with clamps I remove all spacers and then inject silicon. It's a floating bottom design. The bottom pane sits in between the vertical ones/vertical panes are not siliconed on top of bottom pane. ADA style lol.
Thanks

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know what u mean, tighter the gap, harder to fill with silicone, personaly dont like this method, i built mine same way, but with "toothpick" gaps..... Very tricky and hard, but i did it somehow..

Cutting glass, yes, practice to perfection, for everything else, there is glass sander ;)

OP
OP
Rockfella

Rockfella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know what u mean, tighter the gap, harder to fill with silicone, personaly dont like this method, i built mine same way, but with "toothpick" gaps..... Very tricky and hard, but i did it somehow..

Cutting glass, yes, practice to perfection, for everything else, there is glass sander ;)
I tried toothpick gap/zip tie gap, did not work, too much silicon got wasted and the whole process was very stressful. This was not my first attempt, I failed 2/3 times. Found out 3mm is best IMO. Least silicon wastage and I enjoyed the process too :)

OP
OP
Rockfella

Rockfella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. Very pleased with the builds.

OP
OP
Rockfella

Rockfella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon was injected from inside. I taped it like this from out to ensure silicon does not ooze out. Removed tape after 48 hours, perfect matt finish on silicon lol. Silicon does not bond with masking tape.

Side.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back