Disappearing spots on Hippo Tang?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a poorly defined yellow spot on my hippo tang about a week ago. The next day it was gone and I thought maybe she had just scraped herself, then I saw it again a few days later. It's come and gone over the last week. She seems to be eating and otherwise acting normally. The spot is about 3-4mm in diameter and round with poorly defined edges. The only other thing I've noticed is a couple of darker spots at the upper border of the blue oval, a bit behind the yellow spot (they're not visible in the photo.) Any ideas what it could be?

IMG_2302.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me - they look like injuries - from what? IDK. But - a question - were the marks some days ago in the 'exact' place? Which could suggest a parasite possibly. @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me - they look like injuries - from what? IDK. But - a question - were the marks some days ago in the 'exact' place? Which could suggest a parasite possibly. @Jay Hemdal
That's what I thought at first when it disappeared, but then it came back again (and disappeared and came back.) I can't say for sure that it's in exactly the same place but it's always been on the same side in about the same place if not exactly the same place.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a poorly defined yellow spot on my hippo tang about a week ago. The next day it was gone and I thought maybe she had just scraped herself, then I saw it again a few days later. It's come and gone over the last week. She seems to be eating and otherwise acting normally. The spot is about 3-4mm in diameter and round with poorly defined edges. The only other thing I've noticed is a couple of darker spots at the upper border of the blue oval, a bit behind the yellow spot (they're not visible in the photo.) Any ideas what it could be?

IMG_2302.jpeg
I’m having trouble seeing what you are describing: I see the big diffuse yellow spot top center on the black stripe, is that it or a blotch on the tank glass? Also, what are the two smaller spots further back on the black area, too and bottom?
Jay

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble seeing what you are describing: I see the big diffuse yellow spot top center on the black stripe, is that it or a blotch on the tank glass? Also, what are the two smaller spots further back on the black area, too and bottom?
Jay
Yes, that's it. Here's another picture. You can kind of see a couple of darker spots at the border of the black stripe and the blue oval. Unfortunately, she doesn't like holding still for pictures so I haven't been able to get anything better.

FWIW, the diffuse yellow spot is gone again today. The other spots are there, unchanged. I think the dark spots may be HLLE - I've been trying to deal with some on her head by increasing the amount of nori, and adding some herbivore frenzy and vitamins to the diet.
1634088186143.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's it. Here's another picture. You can kind of see a couple of darker spots at the border of the black stripe and the blue oval. Unfortunately, she doesn't like holding still for pictures so I haven't been able to get anything better.

FWIW, the diffuse yellow spot is gone again today. The other spots are there, unchanged. I think the dark spots may be HLLE - I've been trying to deal with some on her head by increasing the amount of nori, and adding some herbivore frenzy and vitamins to the diet.
1634088186143.png
O.K., I thought the larger spot was form the camera. Sorry, I don't know what that is. It seems superficial and not deep seated. It isn't HLLE. What is more likely HLLE is the light discolorations right behind the fish's eye. I also don't know what the other two arrows are pointing at, but you'll want to watch those other three small white spots on the black area and the one white spot down by the lower fin.

Jay

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - those other specs you noted were artifact. FWIW, the larger fuzzy spot is gone again today. *shrug* I guess I‘ll just keep an eye on it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back