Disaster?

kodi3100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went to bed last. Ought everyone was happy and healthy woke up this morning to yellow tang laying on his side still breathing but won't move , six line wrasse is missing in action and both twin spot gobies are missing is it possible for a cony anemone to eat that much in one night and to kill or injure a healthy yellow tang that bad? Checks all water peramiters and the only thing remotely out of wack is nitrate at 30 ppm oh also tried to feed them to see if that would get the yt up and no one would eat even the clowns who typically are voracious eaters
Any ideas?

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a number of different things happening... The anemone could've gotten ahold of the gobies, but with the YT laying on it's side and nothing else eating, its more likely that something is happening on a larger scale. Have you added any new fish recently, if so did you QT or buy them from a reputable (and clean) LFS?

You could check out the fish disease forums and see if there is anything over there that is similar to what you're experiencing. Either way, good luck! hope they all come back around.

OP
OP
K

kodi3100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a number of different things happening... The anemone could've gotten ahold of the gobies, but with the YT laying on it's side and nothing else eating, its more likely that something is happening on a larger scale. Have you added any new fish recently, if so did you QT or buy them from a reputable (and clean) LFS?

You could check out the fish disease forums and see if there is anything over there that is similar to what you're experiencing. Either way, good luck! hope they all come back around.

Thanks I'll check there my lfs is awesome never had any issues from anything I got there but I did not at the gobys guess I got too comfortable (lesson learned) yeah the gobies were new I did a massive water change this morning and put the yt in quarantine tank he is still fighting I pulled the anemone and he threw up a goby so that mystery is solved seems he went on a murderous rampage last night thanks for the ideas I'll check the disease forums and see if a thin stands out

OP
OP
K

kodi3100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll check there my lfs is awesome never had any issues from anything I got there but I did not at the gobys guess I got too comfortable (lesson learned) yeah the gobies were new I did a massive water change this morning and put the yt in quarantine tank he is still fighting I pulled the anemone and he threw up a goby so that mystery is solved seems he went on a murderous rampage last night thanks for the ideas I'll check the disease forums and see if a thin stands out

So the tang pulled through it seems the lta got ahold of him he had some odd looking marks on both sides that look like anemone stings from the picks I looked at I think he may have ventured into the corner the anemone had setup shop in and got cornered and I'm thinking the stress from it all affected the whole tank because everyone is back to normal eating wise cept the tang but he is starting to graze on seaweed and has taken some mysis here and there

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back