Disc Pricing Update

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by Step Ahead Innovations, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Step Ahead Innovations

Step Ahead Innovations Member

Disc Pricing Update: We’ve heard your many comments and questions about disc pricing, so today we are announcing that the pricing for the monthly discs and related data services will be $34.95. This assumes an annual subscription with automatic disc delivery and automatic monthly debit payment. This is a discounted price from the price of individual discs, which will also be available for purchase on our Web site. For those of you that have backed us on Kickstarter with a 12 month disc subscription, we will gladly add an additional 2 months to your subscription for free. We hope this clarification helps you better understand your investment in a MindStream monitor and makes it easier for you to back us on our Kickstarter campaign which ends in 5 days on Sunday night at 10:00 EDT:http://kck.st/1HUGFG2.

dingoinde, Mirya and EDO like this.
    Tags:

2. itwired

itwired Member

Yeah not to thrilled that I have to do an annual subscription for 34.95 hopefully the disks will evolve over time. I guess we will see:)

ebushrow likes this.
  3. xmas_one

xmas_one Member

You'll be 12x less thrilled if you re-read the post.

jsker, Ebone, jpines and 1 other person like this.
  4. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

I read that to mean 1 disk equals 1 month of results regardless of whether the disk is depleted or not. Is that correct?

5. itwired

itwired Member

I read the post as 34.95 to be a discounted price which I can assume that buying the disks individually will be more. I have to assume they will be 40 plus.

6. itwired

itwired Member

I think what i would really like to see is different disks at different price points. I don't know if its possible but lets say a disk that only has alk,calc, mag . on it for a much cheaper cost. If they could do that i think that would help for a lot of us.

7. Rasengan

Rasengan Active Member

Alk is measured from other parameters - i think salinity, co2, and pH so in order to measure Alk you would need the others.

8. acolotto

acolotto Active Member

$34.95 x 12 = $419.40

So $420 every year to have real time measurements, of which only one really matters (ALK), I personally will never be buying this unless it reaches a price point more practical for the average reefer. I can rebuy my Hanna Alk Checker and 365 tests for cheaper. Alk Checker ($49.99) + 15xReagent Replacements (25 test each for $8.99) $134.85 = $184.84. I actually could buy almost a 4 year supply for the annual cost of the replacment discs and thats not even including the price on which the unit it self is going to cost

Edit:
    On the kick starter it says the unit itself will be $700 to $900. So just to get running you are looking at $1120 to $1320? All apex has to do is create some sort of co2 measurement and you could get an apex with all the bells and whistles and ability to calculate alkalinity based off the equation. All you need is CO2, pH, salinity, and temp and you get the alk

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  9. ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist Valuable Member

Debate thread, I predict.

[​IMG]

cheezybuda, jsker, philfree and 4 others like this.
  10. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award

Just a reminder A) Lab grade materials are not cheap to produce (which these are pretty much going to be) and B) they are a company and they do have to make some kind of a profit to stick around, I am sure they would love to sell the dics for $0.99/month if they could but they can't.

143MPCo and nmertz1 like this.
  11. Zoaddicted

Zoaddicted Active Member

Too expensive for your everyday hobbyist.

I imagine the buyers will be mostly:
    Fish Stores
    High End Hobbyists
    and Big Aquariums.

12. EDO

EDO Active Member

You do realize this checks your tank every 15 minutes. That works out to 96 readings a day and that works out to 34,944 readings in a year. How much would spend on 35k worth of hana reagent. That would be almost $315k to test just one parameter while the mindstream test up to ten parameters. I am sorry but ALK is not the only thing that matters to me.

13. itwired

itwired Member

If i had a 250 gallon sps tank I'm sure I would have no problem with the current prices. I'm hoping this is like the tesla of water testing and in 3 years it will be one 1/3rd the cost.

14. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award

True it is a lot of money but how many hobbyists buy 1 frag a month? Your average frag costs around $30 so if you think about it that way it's not too much more but I do agree that hardcore hobbyists will most likely be the bulk of people who buy this.

15. lexinverts

lexinverts Active Member

;)
    Regarding this not being priced for the "average reefer," well, I would say nearly 40% of Reefing products are not priced for the average reefer. Hopefully, as this technology matures, the price will come down.

Regarding the Apex estimate, the Apex probes are not nearly as accurate as the fluorescence technology (as we understand at this time from its use in other applications), so the Alk calculation would not be nearly as accurate.

For those that are not happy with the 12 month subscription, just subscribe for 12 months and during that time figure out how long you can stretch out your disks. If you determine that your disks will last for 2 months in your tank, then it turns out you have 2 years worth of disks. ;)

nmertz1, Mirya and EDO like this.
  16. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

I don't think that's an option. If you closely read what they said, "pricing for the monthly discs and related data services". There's a very good chance they're planning to only give you 30 days of access to their system for each disc regardless of how long it can last. I posed that question further up.

17. acolotto

acolotto Active Member

Much rather buy a frag then monitor my parameters everyday. I consider myself a hardcore hobbyist and would easily spend $300+ on frags, controllers, lighting, pumps, equipment. But not to monitor something i can check myself once a day for a fraction of the cost. Its not like knowing your ALK all day is really going to do anything, Once you get an initial measure for the day its not going to deviate to far or it shouldnt unless something is wrong. My assumption is most of the little ups and downs you are going to see in the mindstream is mostly going to from the calculation of the error in the equation. Its going to automatically add in the deviation possibility and you are going to see jumps in alk even though there are not really any taking place when i reality its just auto calculating the error.

18. EDO

EDO Active Member

lexinverts is right this hobby is not cheap. I always tell people I know that are looking into getting in is don't skimp on your setup or you will have all sorts of problems and end spending more money later on loss of livestock or upgrading your equipment or taking a loss selling your stuff because you decide to give up.

19. lexinverts

lexinverts Active Member

Given what they have been discussing regarding users needing to see how long the disks last in the their tanks, I would be surprised if this was the case. I also think it would be very difficult for them to limit data access to 30 days per disk---only to people who have subscribed to the renewal service.

20. TheEngineer

I think it could be very easily implemented. You sign into the website, enter some serial number from the disc and your 30 days start from the first result it gives you. 30 days go by and you no longer get to log in.

Draft saved Draft deleted