Disc Pricing Update

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by Step Ahead Innovations, Sep 1, 2015.

1. acolotto

acolotto Active Member

They have had 30 days to raise $300,000 in 25 days they have raised $120,000, so in the next 5 days they are going going to raise $180,000 even though it took 25 days to get to $120,000?

They should be on here, and they should be participating. They should be answering all the questions. Obviously people have concerns and questions or something this "revolutionary" for the hobby would have been funded by now.

There is a reason the little details are being left out. We should know the standard deviation by now.

2. lexinverts

lexinverts Active Member

Engaging with naysayers who have stated (a dozen posts ago) that they will never buy the device, but continue to argue that the venture will fail in the sponsor's own forum in order to try to win an argument is not worth it's weight in bristleworms. ;)

3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

I disagree again. Knowing why someone isn't one of your customers and how to acquire them as a customer is a startup's sole responsibility. The fact that you already want to buy it means any time or money spent on you is just increasing their cost to acquire you as a customer. They already spent all they needed to capture your money. Now they need to spend money on the people who have not bought in.

4. acolotto

acolotto Active Member

were not naysayers i believe we both stated the price was to high to justify buying it But both believe its a useful tool if it was more affordable. Not arguing the venture will fail either, hope it actually comes to market and people use and love it. You are the one arguing that this thing is the bees knees, you havent even used it, you never seen empirical data on this product on how accurate it. If it is even reliable. Can i expect to still be using 5 years from now? Sorry that were are skeptical and would like to see actual data from Mindstream that shows accuracy and lifespan of the unit.

TheEngineer and ReefMadScientist like this.
  5. lexinverts

lexinverts Active Member

I think they got the message that folks would like it to be cheaper at least a month ago.

6. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

Clearly that's not the only message. Price is an issue, yes. Performance is a question that hasn't been answered. Also people have stated they don't find the value proposition of 96 readings a day in line with their needs. Don't poo poo people's concerns and criticisms, that's how you design a better product. Think people today would be happy with an original iPhone?

7. acolotto

acolotto Active Member

again price point is high for the information we have been given. @lexinverts You have no idea what you are getting and how accurate it will be.

This is directly from their kickstarter page,
    "All of our research and testing results so far gives us great confidence that the MindStream monitor will be able to measure each of the following parameters at least as accurately as, and certainly more reliably than, common aquarium test methods (test kits, titration, and photometer)."
    You are buying something that is at least as accurate as my hanna checker, why would i pay quadruple for something that i do not know that it is going to be more accurate? What does "at least" mean? They have not proven to me that their product is better then anything available. Yes it probably will be but i what makes it 6 times the value of the gold standard (think many people would agree hanna checkers are best testers available on the market as of now? Ca, Alk checkers $100 for both new + $100 for reagants= $200 and your good for a year if not two) At the end of the day we just want more information on the product.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  8. Zoaddicted

Zoaddicted Active Member

I think ill spend that money on coral/fish/equipment instead.

I dont want to monitor my calc/alk every single day anyways.

9. FoD

FoD Active Member R2R Supporter

This discussion reminds me of when LED's became popular. Zero long term data, but extremists on both sides of the fence.

I hope the product makes it out. I hope it succeeds. I hope it is the new benchmark for testing. Time will tell.

Diesel, DaveMorris, acolotto and 2 others like this.
  10. Step Ahead Innovations

Step Ahead Innovations Member

Hi everyone, thanks for all your questions and comments! We are in the middle of packing up for the MACNA conference later this week in Washington D.C., where we will be exhibiting and presenting a workshop on aquarium water testing and the MindStream monitor. Apologies for the delay in responding today. We will provide responses in the morning. We appreciate all your feedback, and please know that we are taking it all into consideration to create the best possible product for you!

DaveMorris, Shep, lexinverts and 3 others like this.
  11. TheEngineer

Safe travels and good luck with your final fundraising push.

12. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Super Duper Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I just think that having the ability to monitor so many parameters at such high frequency will give rise to the ability for users to achieve a level of long term stability that will significantly increase success. But users will have to know what to do with the data and take appropriate actions vs reactions.

I also think this product will to the surface aspects of reefkeeping that are poorly understood due to the limited access of most hobbyists to this level of information gathering.

The amount of statistical data that could be gathered and interpreted is staggering.

13. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Look forward to the workshop at MACNA

Step Ahead Innovations and EDO like this.
  14. Fishy Bizness Aquatics

Fishy Bizness Aquatics SPS, LPS, Clam and Softy Junkie R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Sounds pretty reasonable to me especially when running a densely stocked sps tank. If you take the time to consider your investment in time and corals, the subscription price is less than the cost of a new coral frag every month...

15. whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit Active Member

The price is fine. Pay it or don't. If you sell frags then you can make it back quickly, which the stability from knowing parameters in more real time will help.

nmertz1 likes this.
  16. Step Ahead Innovations

Step Ahead Innovations Member

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience as we get ready for the upcoming MACNA conference! We think we all might need a little bit of a reset here to refocus the conversation. We want to reiterate that this campaign is NOT a formal product launch. We are still a young company trying to complete funding so we can offer an incredible product, and we are utilizing the Kickstarter platform to raise the capital we need to complete testing and production to get the MindStream monitor to market. That said, while we would love to fully answer every question you pose to our team, we still need to finish R&D/testing to be able to provide the information many of you are asking for, and your Kickstarter dollars will allow us to do that. We have provided all sharable data as it has been available thus far, and we will continue to do so.

As we've stated, while we will bring this product to market regardless, we are counting on this Kickstarter project to ensure we don't encounter delays. We have seen very positive results from our testing thus far, and we have no doubt that when we launch the MindStream monitor, we will not only be able to provide in-depth insight on performance and longevity but that we will also deliver a product that performs as promised. But at this point, like many startups, we are looking to the people we think can benefit from our product to help us get over the finish line.

Additionally, we hope you'll keep in mind that the MindStream system is not an incremental improvement on the testing approaches you use now. Our solution is a radical shift in how our hobby (and beyond) views and manages aquarium water chemistry, and we believe it will significantly alter how aquarists will maintain and enjoy their tanks.
    [​IMG]

We are grateful for all of the support, enthusiasm, questions, and even debate as we join this passionate community of aquarists, and we look forward to completing this campaign to get the MindStream monitor in your hands as quickly as possible.

nmertz1, 7hogwarts, LouieP and 4 others like this.
  17. jerseypete

jerseypete Active Member

If you need the Kickstart dollars to complete testing and start production. How are you going to bring this to market regardless. Where is the money coming from? You still need to finish R&D?. This sound like a small company that has a good idea. But not a business model that any bank or VC firm wants to back. This device would need a massive amount of money to even get the Kickstarter units out. I assuming your hoping to make a profit of the disks. While the unit your hoping to just break even on. So your cash stream is dependant on the amount of units sold. Which as show by the Kickstarter campaign is not many. Would love to see Financials on this company. I'm assuming their dead broke and grasping for dollars. That is the way many successful companies have come about. But this company needs massive amounts of cash to come to market. And a relatively small market to sell to. They reefing community is small. The subset of reefers that can afford this is even smaller. I would be shocked to see this come to market. But best of luck to you guys.

Diesel and ReefMadScientist like this.
  18. ssdawood

ssdawood Valuable Member

^^^ Agree now it sounds like a totally different story.

I thought the product would launch regardless of kickstarter. This doesn't seem the case no more.

Diesel likes this.
  19. jerseypete

jerseypete Active Member

Hey there is always " THE SHARK TANK." I don't ever think I seen an aquarium product on there.

20. lexinverts

lexinverts Active Member

Say what?
    In the above post they reiterate that the product will come to market regardless.
    I'm hoping they have a big MACNA.
    Good luck guys!

Draft saved Draft deleted