Disc Pricing Update

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by Step Ahead Innovations, Sep 1, 2015.

1. ssdawood

ssdawood Valuable Member

I think it was a bad idea to come to r2r lol

Alot of surprises in this thread. This did leave a bad taste in their mouth.

I am not a backer because I like to buy things once they are launched, bugs are resolved and I know for sure that the product is working as intended

I will still buy your over expensive product, disk and subcription. Why ?

This is my hobby and I do spend a lot on it. So one more toy for me.

I am pretty sure there are a lot of reefers like me.

Sweeten the pot on kickstarter and you can still make the deadline

Think about it. Offer something that makes us jump on the kickstarter.

Zoaddicted and ReefMadScientist like this.

2. notclear

notclear Member

On the focus group I said I would pay $15 per disc as it was clear at that time the disc will only last for 30 days. It was already 50% more than they had said $30 per 3 months.

To have a lot of people jump on it, $15 ~ $20 per disc is the price. I know you can't do it, this is just wishful thinking.

3. ssdawood

ssdawood Valuable Member

I think they need to just sweeten the pot for the kickstarter.

Once the product launches on time and works as advertised, people will pay even 50 dollars a disks.

It's only the initial taking of thay is the problem here.

Once you have a working product in the market and it works good you will have no problem selling disks or subcription.

Like I said this is revolutionary. You only need to sweeten the pot for the kickstarter and collect 300k.

After the reefers read the beta testers glowing review they will form a line to buy this product.

Look at Apex, we all pay big money to buy modules and probes all the time.

I have over 1500 dollars in just Apex accessories between my three tanks.

Zoaddicted likes this.
  4. notclear

notclear Member

Yes, sweeten the pot such as not giving just a mere 2 free discs but 12 for the subscription.

Think about it with so many people at MACNA, I believe only just over 10 more people have pledged so far. It tells you a lot.

5. ssdawood

ssdawood Valuable Member

Plus one. These are the guys who are backing you. Don't be cheap with them.

Give them more, like a whole year subcription. Drop the price down for kickstarter.

Once these initial guys post reviews. And the product is as good as you say you will have no trouble making money.

But if kickstarter fails, you will have delays on your product. Not only that a failed kickstarter means that mindstream failed.

You will face a hard time selling this product at launch.

Just my opinion and I am trying to be helpful.
    I want this to take off on time.

6. acolotto

acolotto Active Member

Yea but Neptune does not charge us monthly to use them. The just need to sale disk subscriptions and make the cloud network be accessible free.

I think the data not being 100% accessible whenever you want is a joke. What if I'm going out of town when the 30 days is coming up? If I did buy this id be spend around $1200 and for that much I better be able to use it however I see fit. If I want to use the disks for 60 days and access the data I should be able to. Also what if I don't want to test 96 times a day, maybe once a hr is going to what I want. Does less test extend disk life? To many questions and no answers for someone telling me how to use a product. It seems they want everyone to use it in the same manner, and in the hobby I have found no one does anything the same. Every tank is different

7. jerseypete

jerseypete Active Member

I've been reading about this device for 2 years now. What has changed in the last 2 years other than a Kickstarter try that doesn't seem to be going well.[​IMG]this was 2 years ago Nov 13. [​IMG]

8. acolotto

acolotto Active Member

Also it's not like I'd want them sending me a disk every month with the subscription anyways id expect to get them all at once and reorder once they have been exhausted in my tank

9. jerseypete

jerseypete Active Member

Other than the disk back then lasted 90 days not 30[​IMG]

10. ssdawood

ssdawood Valuable Member

I hope they come up with the funds and launch this. It will be sad to see this one go.

I rather have a product that does this than not to have one.

So what if they charge subcription fees or 30 dollars a disk.

Alternative is no mindstream and I think this kinda monitoring will be helpful for me in maintaining my tank.

nmertz1 and EDO like this.
  11. ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist Valuable Member

I agree. I AM TIRED of checking my tank parameters especially when I have coral growth, faulty titration kits that expire whenever they want, and so on.

At first I was not willing to back this product, but I am tired of testing and testing and testing.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    thehammer1985 likes this.
  12. ReefMadScientist

@Step Ahead Innovations

I see you are out of DEC. 2015 delivery date systems. Are those certain or will you have any left?

I am tired of test kits and asking my wife what color it is. I am a tad color blind as well.

Thanks.

13. TaylorPilot

TaylorPilot Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting product. Just a suggestion though. If it was me, I would look at the head units like you would an inkjet printer. Give them away at cost and make your money on the subscriptions. I wouldn't even offer them in 1 month units. The shipping will kill you. I would ship them in 3 month subscriptions for $99.00. Cost of entry (head unit and subscription) is going to be a deterrent for allot of people, but despite what people are saying on here. If you can get them the head units cheaply, $35 a month is doable by most. When you get those first few screen shots of people tracking their initial tank cycle, they will be hooked. Honestly, I think it is impressive that you have gotten so many people to contribute without the product even being out. I wouldn't use the kickstarter as a metric of its popularity once the system is released.

14. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is exactly what I was thinking! I think Microsoft actually loses money on each Xbox One they sell, but they make mad loot on the games.

15. Myka

Myka Well-Known Member

I see the Mindstream to be like a Tang for example; some people have Gem Tangs (Mindstream), some people have Black Tangs (Hanna/Salifert/Elos), some people have Yellow Tangs (API test kits), and some people don't have any tangs (no test kits). Some people want a Gem Tang, but can't justify or afford it, and some people don't even like Gem Tangs. I'm not really sure why there's any sort of debate. If you don't like Gem Tangs or can't justify or afford one, just move on. I like Gem Tangs (Mindstream), and I'd like to have one, but I can't justify the cost, so I'll just sit back and live vicariously through those who can. The monthly cost to feed the Gem Tang (Mindstream disks) isn't the concern to me, it's the initial cost to buy the Gem Tang (Mindstream) that hurts. :D

EDO likes this.
  16. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I'd be willing to bet there's theres a trove of people out there like myself, that don't really know much about or even pay any attention at all to kickstarter, or any of this pre market stuff, but will not hesitate for a second to buy it once it's actually available. I've been dreaming about an alk monitor for over decade myself and would be disappointed if this research and technology when to the wayside because of a few poor marketing choices early on. This all assumes that it really does work however.:)

17. ReefMadScientist

I just want the thing to test Alk, Ca, and Mg. Too bad I can't just pick what I want it to test lol meaning cheaper. lol

18. klp

klp Active Member R2R Supporter

I hope they get off the ground. This may answer questions such as why some corals unexpectedly bleach or a sudden unexplained die off of fish etc. Like any research we do not know until we actually do it... It will be interesting to see what comes out of this constant monitoring. This will make every owner of the system a researcher giving us a never before view into reef keeping. I think the first year of monitoring/research will tell us much about what we do or do not do hopefully shedding new light or confirming known husbandry. To me it is an exciting product just for that reason.

As far as the money goes research is never cheap. Neither are lighting systems, controllers, tanks, stands. pumps et al. That list is seemingly endless in this hobby. I have calculated I will spend at least $2000 dollars before putting anything into a tank. The only question is do you want to spend money to research your tank or do you feel it is not necessary? I think it would be fun like a $900 dollar vacation. If I set up a new tank this year as I plan to I may invest in this ground breaking system at that time. I had been planning on doing Triton and still may. I would love to see the progression over one years time on a new setup. Then you could sign up for a 30 day disk for occasional testing or continue with a second year. Something to think about for sure. So many choices, so little time!!

19. jerseypete

jerseypete Active Member

Well if this ever does come to market and gets good reviews I probably get one. Do I need one? No. Will this be the best thing ever? No. To be honest I could probably use a par meter first. My biggest problem is trying to balance lighting to keep Sps and LPS happy at the same time. I probably lost more corals to too much or insufficient lighting. I dose alk and cal. And do water changes every 4-6 weeks. The only time I test is right before water change to make sure new water matches old. My alk is always 8.5-9. And cal is always 410 to 440. So I don't really need to monitor 24-7. Probably get me in more trouble than not. Would I buy one. Yes. But I wouldn't be the first. This would be just another gadget added to the tank.that we would still need to keep our old test kits and still check with them to double check the new tester.

20. Cyberdude

Cyberdude Member

I travel a lot for work. Being able to see what's going on without being is worth 10x the investment. You lose a tank in a couple days if things go out of wack. Now I can call someone in to remedy a situation quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted