Disc Pricing Update

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by Step Ahead Innovations, Sep 1, 2015.

1. eg8r210

eg8r210 Well-Known Member

Haha, this is funny. I don't remember Steve Jobs seeking out any public concern or criticism, especially on an open internet forum, when his company was developing and designing the first iPhone.

ReefMadScientist likes this.

2. ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist Valuable Member

And they still do not listen. I have read countless forums about people asking why the iPhone has inferior features compared to other phones on the market (when I used to care to read). But nothing ever changes. The iPhone comes out with year old technology and features but the hipsters keep supporting it.

3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Are you sure about that? There were millions of people using cell phones and blackberries and palm pilots and iPods. You think not a single person ever said, "Boy I wish I didn't need to carry about 3 different devices!"? Remember, when the pain of change is less than the pain you are experiencing, you will make a change. Clearly there's only around 200 or so reefers who thought this was a big enough gain beyond their current circumstance to warrant supporting it.

Fugedaboutit! :) There's a lot to be said about what makes people buy things once they've become an institution. I for one like my Apple devices, but I only upgrade when my old phone starts to die. Speaking of which...my iPhone 6S arrives tomorrow!!! WOOT WOOT!

4. ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist Valuable Member

I like Apple devices just not their phones. I know this topic is for another thread but I have two iPads, Macbook Pro, iMac, and a few old iPods laying around.

Glad they finally moved to 4K and I guess you may have to wait till next year before you hit my Note 4 camera level ;) Oh, and I purchased more memory for $13 dollars off Amazon and got 128gb micro SD card :cool::cool::cool:

To keep this not even close to relevant to the thread, I am still waiting to hear back from them regarding beta testing :(

5. bct15

bct15 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Showcase Editor

Your definition of a hipster is incorrect. A hipster is a person who follows fashion and chooses to not follow social norms in order to be hip/cool or to be different from the cultural norm.

For example, somebody chooses to use a samsung galaxy because they don't want to be one of the "sheeple" using an iPhone.

ReefMadScientist likes this.
  6. Cyberdude

Cyberdude Member

Plus you would have to have a giant beard to qualify.

bct15 likes this.
  7. eg8r210

Yes I am pretty sure. Your example of Apple looking at the current crop of electronic devices and inventing the iPhone is no different than this company looking at the current crop of testing products and inventing their own. Apple didn't go to any public forums and ask users what they thought of Apple's business process, design, etc. Apple built it and everyone bought it. This company is certainly hoping for a the same to be said of their product. The company answering questions here on the forum is really a waste of their time and more to just appease the people here in hopes to keep their interest while they push out their delayed release due to a failed KS campaign.

8. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

You think a company would invest billions of dollars into a product that they hadn't look at all into the marketplace for feedback on? Seriously? Whether or not SAI wasted their time here is sort of irrelevant. They made a product that people were interested in and introduced it at a price-point that there was not enough support for. If the first iPhone came out at just the $599 retail price and not with carrier subsidies do you think as many people would have bought it? I don't. This was at a time when most people opted for the free phone every 12-18 months. We're maybe going too far down a rabbit hole here with the Apple example....

Back to basics. You design a product you think the market wants. You try and sell the device on the open market with a blitzkrieg of marketing pizzazz and the response is strong in support of the concept, but people aren't putting their money down to buy it. There's one conclusion to draw, your concept (tech, price, usability, whatever) isn't what the market wants. For me, I think these guys came to market about a year too early. Their big launch showed they're nowhere near finished with the product and they ran out of money so they need to raise more to try and finish it. My opinion is they ran out of money and hoped for a big response on KS. They hoped that money would be enough to finish the device design work. This is a classic KS story that repeats itself over and over again.

9. eg8r210

Umm actually yes, Apple sold out of the iPhone on day 1 and there were ZERO subsidies. If you walked into AT&T and tried to buy the iPhone you paid full retail. They sold 270,000 in 30 hours (no way that many MindStream's are sold even if the company stays on this forum all day and night and answered the same questions a million times). You are right, we have gone down this rabbit hole pretty far. You mentioned the iPhone initially and I thought it was a bad example then and now.

Draft saved Draft deleted