disco shroom doing very badly

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My discosoma mushroom isnt doing so good, its like shrinking and all closed up, I thought it may be too much light so I moved it to a lower light area, theres not a lot of flow there either, all my other corals are doing better than ever, fish too, so there shouldnt be any param issues (i think),
just tested anyways tho Alk: 8, Ca, 450ish, mg, 1200 ish, nitrates: 20 ppm, pH: 7.8, Sal: 34ppt, temp: 82-84.
Afraid to move it again cus Im afraid Im just gonna stress it out more :(
Any ideas

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it, got aa pic under white lights please?
Your mag is low but I doubt that is it, your temperature looks a little high to me but all else looks fine.
@LRT ?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures needed for sure. Usual things to look for is too much flow, too much or little light.
I can tell you I run my shroom at 76 degrees. Some do act sluggish in warm water.
Also have a few that don't like the lower PH.
Id work on getting that temp down. PH should rise for you. Im cooling my tanks with fans blowing on water surface. Doesn't take much to get them in check with a dual inkbird heat/cooling controller set up on your fan to kick on automatically when undesirable temps are reached. I think I paid $25 for mine on Amazon.
Not saying this is your issue but id work on getting those major params stable and off the checklist.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures needed for sure. Usual things to look for is too much flow, too much or little light.
I can tell you I run my shroom at 76 degrees. Some do act sluggish in warm water.
Also have a few that don't like the lower PH.
Id work on getting that temp down. PH should rise for you. Im cooling my tanks with fans blowing on water surface. Doesn't take much to get them in check with a dual inkbird heat/cooling controller set up on your fan to kick on automatically when undesirable temps are reached. I think I paid $25 for mine on Amazon.
Not saying this is your issue but id work on getting those major params stable and off the checklist.
well yea the room is very insulated so the temp is pre high :(

1630335319937.png

before moving
1630335354319.png

currently, its looking terrible :(

as for other corals, I mainly have softies currently, tank is pretty new
a bunch of zoas, a kenya tree, a rock full of gsp, a toadstool, pretty much it

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check your phosphate. Zero phosphate will kill photosynthetic organisms, fast.

How old is the tank, and how was it cycled? It might just not be ready for corals yet, with how white that rock is.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine will do exact same thing when I glue them to new discs. That rock looks brand new id def let it get some age on it before I glued corals to it.
Def check phosphates. I heard some dry rock leaches phosphates but when I used crushed coral it actually bottomed my phosphates out. So did adding dry special grade aragonite sand recently.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your phosphate. Zero phosphate will kill photosynthetic organisms, fast.

How old is the tank, and how was it cycled? It might just not be ready for corals yet, with how white that rock is.
yea its fairly new almost 1 mo if u count from when the first fish (the lion) was added (right after it finished cycling)
I cycled with microbacter xlm and ammonium, and have dosed some microbacter 7 after the tank was cycled
had most of the corals for a couple of weeks now and they seem to be doing pretty good just not the shroom

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine will do exact same thing when I glue them to new discs. That rock looks brand new id def let it get some age on it before I glued corals to it.
Def check phosphates. I heard some dry rock leaches phosphates but when I used crushed coral it actually bottomed my phosphates out. So did adding dry special grade aragonite sand recently.
oh I don't have a phosphate test kit currently, (I either misplaced or used up my old one) def will get one soon and check
yea the tank is fairly new

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea its fairly new almost 1 mo if u count from when the first fish (the lion) was added (right after it finished cycling)
I cycled with microbacter xlm and ammonium, and have dosed some microbacter 7 after the tank was cycled
had most of the corals for a couple of weeks now and they seem to be doing pretty good just not the shroom
It can take a few weeks for them to acclimate. Especially discos.
Id start with getting a fan blowing on that water to cool it down and get PH up.
Check your phosphates as mentioned. As well as flow.
Otherwise it very well could not like being glues to that super white rock. I have a cpl that are mad right now because my wife glued them to new discs.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals don't do well in a new tank. I'd leave it alone and see what happens, but don't be surprised if it doesn't make it. Try again in a few months.

I couldn't keep zoas until my tank was 9 months old.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals don't do well in a new tank. I'd leave it alone and see what happens, but don't be surprised if it doesn't make it. Try again in a few months.

I couldn't keep zoas until my tank was 9 months old.
true i guess, speaking of zoas, the ones I have rn have already gotten some new heads and are doing great

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a few weeks for them to acclimate. Especially discos.
Id start with getting a fan blowing on that water to cool it down and get PH up.
Check your phosphates as mentioned. As well as flow.
Otherwise it very well could not like being glues to that super white rock. I have a cpl that are mad right now because my wife glued them to new discs.
will do, thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back