Discoloration on Blue Tang

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people,
Have had this blue tang for 6 months now, and the discoloration near the eye area, as well as the tail, has been there since I got it.
Today I saw it scratching its belly on the sand and was slightly concerned.

Here is a 1min clip from a few different angles, please help me identify what it could be.
If a better quality video is needed, I can try providing that as well.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
off the bat it looks like brook but if the clownfish is not sick and you have not added any new fish in lately then i'm stumped. sorry

OP
OP
sneakerhead

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
off the bat it looks like brook but if the clownfish is not sick and you have not added any new fish in lately then i'm stumped. sorry
Thanks for the quick response, clownfishes look perfectly healthy to the naked eye. I can attach some pictures for reference if needed. Tang has had those patches since I first got it.

I added a few fish maybe 1-2 months ago, and those were pre-quarantined from a reputable vendor.
THey are healthy as well.

OP
OP
sneakerhead

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but the discoloration looks like head and lateral line erosion to me
the yellow tang has that, so i wouldn't be surprised it that is the case.
Although the yellow tang is Biota one, those are known for that.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only reason i guessed brook was because of the tail area. i know little about hlle so i dont know if it only affects the head

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know a ton about hlle but I know it’s common in tangs and I seem to hear about it in blue, yellow, and purple tangs most commonly. I also don’t believe anyone knows for a fact what causes it. I’ve heard it linked malnutrition, heavy metals, stray current, and most commonly from carbon fines.
It will usually cause skin erosion on the head and down the side of the fish following the lateral line. I know on a yellow tang it can deteriorate the dorsal fin as well.

I have no idea if captive bred tangs are less susceptible, but I would guess that they are just as likely to get it.

OP
OP
sneakerhead

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know a ton about hlle but I know it’s common in tangs and I seem to hear about it in blue, yellow, and purple tangs most commonly. I also don’t believe anyone knows for a fact what causes it. I’ve heard it linked malnutrition, heavy metals, stray current, and most commonly from carbon fines.
It will usually cause skin erosion on the head and down the side of the fish following the lateral line. I know on a yellow tang it can deteriorate the dorsal fin as well.

I have no idea if captive bred tangs are less susceptible, but I would guess that they are just as likely to get it.
That does make sense, how about the belly rubbing though?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello people,
Have had this blue tang for 6 months now, and the discoloration near the eye area, as well as the tail, has been there since I got it.
Today I saw it scratching its belly on the sand and was slightly concerned.

Here is a 1min clip from a few different angles, please help me identify what it could be.
If a better quality video is needed, I can try providing that as well.

Three things I see are HLLE, by tail what seems alike a scrape and also what appears to be very strong current as all the fish seem to be resisting water flow.
For the tang in question, Assure good water quality and that he is not being irritated by another tankmate or with aggression and that it is given proper diet. This fish needs more than flakes and pellets and should be offered fats and aminos with foods such as LRS fish frenzy, mysis shrimp, formula 1, spirulina brine shrimp and selcon vitamins added to food occasionally.
A vitamin deficiency is often the biggest contributor.

OP
OP
sneakerhead

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three things I see are HLLE, by tail what seems alike a scrape and also what appears to be very strong current as all the fish seem to be resisting water flow.
For the tang in question, Assure good water quality and that he is not being irritated by another tankmate or with aggression and that it is given proper diet. This fish needs more than flakes and pellets and should be offered fats and aminos with foods such as LRS fish frenzy, mysis shrimp, formula 1, spirulina brine shrimp and selcon vitamins added to food occasionally.
A vitamin deficiency is often the biggest contributor.
Thank you for responding.
I am currently feeding it nori, mysis at night(dipped in garlic and selcon on alternate days) and TDO boost pellets in the morning. Ill compliment these with more things you have mentioned.

I did want to get more info on the current, I am currently running my mp40s at 40%, on a 100gallon tank. What is a good metric to assess if the flow is too strong? Im assuming the fish resisting it like you mentioned?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for responding.
I am currently feeding it nori, mysis at night(dipped in garlic and selcon on alternate days) and TDO boost pellets in the morning. Ill compliment these with more things you have mentioned.

I did want to get more info on the current, I am currently running my mp40s at 40%, on a 100gallon tank. What is a good metric to assess if the flow is too strong? Im assuming the fish resisting it like you mentioned?
Test the pumps/current. . . . Drop to 35% and see how things look for 48hrs. If still too aggressive, go another 5% decrease. 20-25% likely best depending on what coral you have. .. If Mixed reef 30% would be a good baseline

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some possible HLLE, but it doesn't look how it typical does on hepatus tangs. However, the length of time tells me that is HLLE, nothing else would persist so long.

The scratching could be flukes, but I doubt it. The other fish look really good. I would give it a few days to see if the scratching persists, or if it starts in other fish, then consider a 2x treatment with Prazipro, 8 or 9 days apart.

Jay

OP
OP
sneakerhead

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some possible HLLE, but it doesn't look how it typical does on hepatus tangs. However, the length of time tells me that is HLLE, nothing else would persist so long.

The scratching could be flukes, but I doubt it. The other fish look really good. I would give it a few days to see if the scratching persists, or if it starts in other fish, then consider a 2x treatment with Prazipro, 8 or 9 days apart.

Jay
Thank you Jay!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back