• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Discounted SPS! No swaps=too much Acropora...

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's reassuring to see you have a Moorish Idol in your setup. Just ordered one and have heard mixed reviews about having them in a reef tank. Any tips on keeping them?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's reassuring to see you have a Moorish Idol in your setup. Just ordered one and have heard mixed reviews about having them in a reef tank. Any tips on keeping them?

If they are eating New Life Spectrum pellets that seems to be key. Mine chews on some Acropora and it was given to me because it was eating LPS (which doesn't matter to me). However if your colonies are big enough they withstand and adjust to the nipping without much issue.

This one was pre-acclimated and doing amazing already before I got it, so I dont have a lot of good advice on that process unfortunately.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are eating New Life Spectrum pellets that seems to be key. Mine chews on some Acropora and it was given to me because it was eating LPS (which doesn't matter to me). However if your colonies are big enough they withstand and adjust to the nipping without much issue.

This one was pre-acclimated and doing amazing already before I got it, so I dont have a lot of good advice on that process unfortunately.
Uh oh, mine are still in the beginning phases of growing out, makes me a little worried. I ordered the New life spectrum pellets, so hopefully it will eat those and be happy/ healthy. Also got a feeder to feed multiple times a day as I've heard these fish do better with multiple feedings. Thanks for the info!

jdTrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've always loved Moorish Idols and I've had mine since he was a baby. He is the show piece in my tank and can't imagine not having one. There are several things you can do, but my biggest suggestion is to keep his belly full. I've learned my lesson early on when he chewed up hundreds worth of Acropora and other LPS some days out of the blue when he got hungry. I feed New Life spectrum which he devours 4 times a day autofeed and about 6 - 8 frozen cubes every 2 days, but I also have a large bio load with other fish. Just feed frequent and enough and you have to be able to export the nutrients.

One of my feedings, notice how fast the food is gone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back