Discus Fish Not Eating/Inflamed Gills

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes before everyone comments that this is a saltwater fish forum I understand that. I am just trying to get as much feedback as possible. I got 3 new discus fish about 2 1/2 weeks ago. After a few days them being in the tank my older 3 discus had something that looks similar to discus plague. That is treated now for the most part. Only one out of the 3 new ones have not eaten since I got him. I’ve been treating the tank with salt, api e.m. Erythromycin, and api general cure. But that’s not the only problem. To me it looks like his gills might be inflamed or something because of how far they are sticking out. He has also been breathing hard since I added him in. Any idea what this could be? I am getting very concerned now because for his size I would say his times running out as far as starving to death. What do I do? Thanks.

F93572C2-6E4F-4A36-9990-4E8CC79ED947.jpeg 6BB8A1E0-13E6-4C2F-975C-B8BB379E4870.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes

Praziquantel, or Prazipro.
Flubendazole.
Fluke-Tabs.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes before everyone comments that this is a saltwater fish forum I understand that. I am just trying to get as much feedback as possible. I got 3 new discus fish about 2 1/2 weeks ago. After a few days them being in the tank my older 3 discus had something that looks similar to discus plague. That is treated now for the most part. Only one out of the 3 new ones have not eaten since I got him. I’ve been treating the tank with salt, api e.m. Erythromycin, and api general cure. But that’s not the only problem. To me it looks like his gills might be inflamed or something because of how far they are sticking out. He has also been breathing hard since I added him in. Any idea what this could be? I am getting very concerned now because for his size I would say his times running out as far as starving to death. What do I do? Thanks.

F93572C2-6E4F-4A36-9990-4E8CC79ED947.jpeg 6BB8A1E0-13E6-4C2F-975C-B8BB379E4870.jpeg
It could be flukes, but discus are prone to a number of issues that can cause skin darkening like this. What temperature do you have them at? I normally avoid salt with discus and if I use it, I use sea salt not plain sodium chloride.

Jay

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four wild discus. The old timer discus keepers said that when gills get distended, it was flukes, too much urine in the water or burns from chlorine. Go to "Simply Discus". It is a forum for discus keepers. They have an area that deals with discus disease.

OP
OP
NicksTanks223

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be flukes, but discus are prone to a number of issues that can cause skin darkening like this. What temperature do you have them at? I normally avoid salt with discus and if I use it, I use sea salt not plain sodium chloride.

Jay
Sorry for late reply. I have the tank at 85°F. He seems to be doing a little better now, before he was staying at the top in one corner but now he is swimming around some. He is still not eating though. I am using special aquarium salt, I think it might be API brand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back