Disease during QT

njoyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,
Need your input and help. I was QT my Scopa tang with Copper power (2.5ppm) + metro. I was 9 days into the QT and today I saw one of my scopas with white patches on body. See the picture. You might have to zoom in and see near tail. Is it Velvet or brook ? What I am not understanding is why this came 9 days into treatment. The water column has copper (2.5ppm) + metro.

I have 2 yellow and one more scopas in the QT. I took the affected tang out into a separate QT and kept him in a 2.5ppm copper power + metro. What do you think is happening ?

Thanks in advance..

Joy

20210930_212840.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This was answered in another posting
What test kits are you using for copper?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,
Need your input and help. I was QT my Scopa tang with Copper power (2.5ppm) + metro. I was 9 days into the QT and today I saw one of my scopas with white patches on body. See the picture. You might have to zoom in and see near tail. Is it Velvet or brook ? What I am not understanding is why this came 9 days into treatment. The water column has copper (2.5ppm) + metro.

I have 2 yellow and one more scopas in the QT. I took the affected tang out into a separate QT and kept him in a 2.5ppm copper power + metro. What do you think is happening ?

Thanks in advance..

Joy

20210930_212840.jpg

It's probable that this isn't a protozoan. It visually isn't either velvet or Brook. Most likely it is either a bacterial infection, or a reaction to using copper and metro at the same time (I avoid doing that as they are both anti-protozoals, and in combination, they can be too stressful). Due to the localized patchy nature, it probably isn't flukes.

Is the fish breathing normally and still eating well?

Jay

OP
OP
N

njoyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
Thanks..he is eating well till last night. I have to check in today morning feeding.
His breathing looks slightly heavy..need to check more now that he has his own tank..

OP
OP
N

njoyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
Thanks..he is eating well till last night. I have to check in today morning feeding.
His breathing looks slightly heavy..need to check more now that he has his own tank..
Hi Jay,
Today morning he is looking healthy and no spots..he is eating well..maybe he got stressed.

Need your guidance on one more thing.
I was planning on doing a 2 week copper + metro, followed by 2 weeks of observation with Prazi.

Do I need to absolutely do 30 days of copper.

Thanks a lot for your guidance..

Joy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
Today morning he is looking healthy and no spots..he is eating well..maybe he got stressed.

Need your guidance on one more thing.
I was planning on doing a 2 week copper + metro, followed by 2 weeks of observation with Prazi.

Do I need to absolutely do 30 days of copper.

Thanks a lot for your guidance..

Joy
I prefer 30 days Coppersafe or Copper Power. I do NOT dose copper and metronidazole together, I think it is too stressful and metro is a poor antiprotozoal drug to use in any event. Prazi should be dosed 2x, with good aeration, ten days apart. If there is some compelling reason to hurry the process, one trick that works in many cases is this: Assuming the fish are visually clear of all parasites, 14 days Cupramine at 0.50 to 0.60 ppm, then remove at least half the copper. Then 2 x prazi, 10 days apart, wait 4 more days to get to two weeks. If all looks good, then re-add cupramine to full dose (this kills any theronts that may still be present) and then after 48 hours, while the fish is still in the copper, move it to the DT. This gets the whole process down to around 30 days. My full quarantine process runs 62 days I think.....

Jay

OP
OP
N

njoyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,
Two follow up questions..

1) after QT what would you recommend as a sterilization process for the QT tank and HW to prepare for next batch of fish

2) how do I QT and treat the invertebrates ( snails, crabs, shrimps, urchins) to get rid of parasites, hitch hicker, and pest..

Thanks in advance...

Joy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,
Two follow up questions..

1) after QT what would you recommend as a sterilization process for the QT tank and HW to prepare for next batch of fish

2) how do I QT and treat the invertebrates ( snails, crabs, shrimps, urchins) to get rid of parasites, hitch hicker, and pest..

Thanks in advance...

Joy
Joy,

If you have moved a group of fish through quarantine and they are in your DT, your QT has nothing in it that they don’t have, so it is better NOT to sterilize the QT, leave it running if you will be getting new fish. The only time I sterilize a QT if there was some uncontrolled disease in there and the fish died.
For inverts, I prefer to buy them from fishless systems. If that isn’t possible, I try to hold them in a non medicated holding tank for 45 days. If that isn’t possible, I at least rinse them in clean seawater before moving them into the DT(poor choice though).
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back