Disease Experts

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading up on PH levels and I read that higher PH levels can give an extra level of defense against disease. This is what I read
A pH range between 8.1 and 8.4 in marine tanks has an antiseptic effect, protecting your fish against various diseases
I was wondering if that is correct, I am sitting at a PH of 7.8 but I could purchase a CO2 reactor and get it raised to 8.2 or so, if there was a benefit.

Please let me know?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was reading up on PH levels and I read that higher PH levels can give an extra level of defense against disease. This is what I read
A pH range between 8.1 and 8.4 in marine tanks has an antiseptic effect, protecting your fish against various diseases
I was wondering if that is correct, I am sitting at a PH of 7.8 but I could purchase a CO2 reactor and get it raised to 8.2 or so, if there was a benefit.

Please let me know?
I am not sure but - there are lots of people that have tanks at 7.8 pH. Of course. its totally possible that certain bacteria grow better do better at a higher pH. There are also some that do worse at a high pH - Do you happen to have the source for the information?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Please let me know?
This relates to an article by Kate Barrington and is one person’s analysis. Not saying it’s wrong but IMO overemphasized
Ph is part of the elements of good water quality which helps fish stay healthy and fight disease . Same applies to nitrate ammonia at phosphate which acts as toxins when levels are elevated. This is the power of testing and determining need for water change.
Ph- nitrate-ammonia are what we monitor for fish while we add mag-alk-calcium to coral presence and which also affect ph
Diet also important to health and disease resistance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please let me know?
I’ve never heard that, nor have I seen it in my own systems. I guess I’m dubious, if for no other reason that this cannot be true for all diseases. Take salinity for example: low salinity controls ich, but Uronema finds it beneficial.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back