Disease ID needed

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this lawnmower blenny in a ten gallon QT tank. Previously had a yellow wrasse in the same tank with it that died about a week ago. Neither fish were very visible in the tank as I have some hiding spots and sand to keep the fish from being stressed. Unfortunately, I didn’t really do a lot of testing at that time as I’ve not had much luck keeping wrasses - they seem pretty sensitive to stress and I’ve lost a few within the first week after I receive them, I assumed this time to be the same... I did a large water change after finding it but didn’t test parameters other than to say my salinity of 1.020 and temp of 77 were the same then as today.
I did a large water change today, stirring up the sand and the blenny came out of hiding. I noticed this discoloration on it, which appears bacterial to me, and so I treated the tank with furan 2 and kanamycin.
I did treat the tank with general cure at first and 2 days later. I have a cycled sponge filter in the tank with them and feed a mix of frozen food and nori as well as putting green hair algae in the tank from my display tank.
I now regret keeping them in the same tank and making it so hard for myself to keep an eye on them....
Anyway, I was hoping someone had some ideas of what this is and if I can do anything else for my blenny.
I do have a seachem ammonia badge in the tank and it is yellow.
91E957ED-AF24-4B8D-8F42-777DFBE26B3A.jpeg
AE7B9761-FBCE-4A6E-AC16-3EA4691FCAD1.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial infection...and doesn't sound good that you have had other fish in this tank and lost them as well. You always have to be very concerned with Uronema when you see a white area and pink center. There really is no treatment for Uronema and when they reach this point, it is way too late. Hopefully the antibiotics you are using will help...you'll know in a couple of days. If it's uronema, it will kill quickly.

As for the tank...I would break this tank down completely and bleach everything associated with the tank in order to kill an pathogens. If it is uronema, that is really the only way to clear it out of a system...It's not like ich or velvet which require a host to live on...it can live in the tank on its own.

OP
OP
Lilnoelle80

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial infection...and doesn't sound good that you have had other fish in this tank and lost them as well. You always have to be very concerned with Uronema when you see a white area and pink center. There really is no treatment for Uronema and when they reach this point, it is way too late. Hopefully the antibiotics you are using will help...you'll know in a couple of days. If it's uronema, it will kill quickly.

As for the tank...I would break this tank down completely and bleach everything associated with the tank in order to kill an pathogens. If it is uronema, that is really the only way to clear it out of a system...It's not like ich or velvet which require a host to live on...it can live in the tank on its own.
Thank you. I hope that is not what it is as I likely have cross contaminated some other tanks as there was another QT tank right by it that I used the same equipment with for water changes. I’ll obviously have to bleach the other equipment and tank too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back