Disease ID - Sand Dust or ICH

crezguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please ID what is this. I am pretty much thinking it's the start of the ICH. But also seems like a dust. Need some opinion here. @Jay Hemdal

Attaching the video here.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dots are only on flame and coral beauty.
This from the size is ich and will need to be treated in quarantine best with either coppersafe or copper Power at therapuetic level 2.25 - 2.5 for a full 30 days at 80 degrees and monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna, not Api.
Keep an eye on rest of occupants who may have it but not yet visible. My preference is to treat all occupants and assume they too have it.
For display tank, you will want to go fishless (fallow) for 6-8 weeks to assure the trophants have gone through their life cycle without a host and have died off.
Ive seen often sand on a fish which miics ich , but this is more than sand

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dots are only on flame and coral beauty.

I see probable ich trophonts on the Coral Beauty and maybe a couple on the flame.

The question here is - can it be managed, or will the trophonts increase to an acute infection? The fish don't have a lot of spots - yet. If the disease progresses to the acute phase (maybe 30 spots on any one fish) management isn't likely.

Do you have a UV sterilizer? That can help. So can siphoning off the sand bed early every morning. Still, ich management often fails. Then, as @vetteguy53081 said, your options are limited to pulling all of the fish and treating them in a hospital tank. "Reef Safe" medications almost never work for acute infections. You *might* be able to use Polyp Lab Medic (a peroxide salt) in conjunction with UV and substrate siphoning. I can see from all the coral, that pulling the fish is going to be a nightmare, but you may end up needing to do that - sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
C

crezguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I am waiting to see how the morning looks like. QT is ready and running. Just have to remove the rock work which is going to be a pain and catch them all worst case. Will keep posted

OP
OP
C

crezguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today morning checked out and don't see the spots increasing. Rather the spots are lesser. Inclined to believe the trophonts are falling to multiple. Still wondering if less than 24 hrs is enough to multiply?

Either way closely watching them to see how it progresses. The fishes are eating and looks healthy.

On the other hand, QT is up and running. Changed the water but I have a live rock specially for QT for seeding. so just waiting to see how things progress and will move the fishes to the 30G QT.

This is my second ICH attack in my 4 years of reefing. I have pulled out the fish, QT ed. Went fallow and was all good untill now.Again have to do the same I guess one more timr

Will keep posted

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today morning checked out and don't see the spots increasing. Rather the spots are lesser. Inclined to believe the trophonts are falling to multiple. Still wondering if less than 24 hrs is enough to multiply?

Either way closely watching them to see how it progresses. The fishes are eating and looks healthy.

On the other hand, QT is up and running. Changed the water but I have a live rock specially for QT for seeding. so just waiting to see how things progress and will move the fishes to the 30G QT.

This is my second ICH attack in my 4 years of reefing. I have pulled out the fish, QT ed. Went fallow and was all good untill now.Again have to do the same I guess one more timr

Will keep posted

Yes, most likely the trophonts are still more of less in sync and will tend to drop off about the same time, then come back in greater numbers.

Jay

OP
OP
C

crezguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't see any behavior when a fish has ICH. Confused. Videos from today.

Not sure if the fishes are healthy and able to fight ICH or it's just the sand which is stuck to their mucous. I don't see spots as well.

It's been 3 days since I saw the spot. But all fishes are healthy and no signs.

@Jay Hemdal

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't see any behavior when a fish has ICH. Confused. Videos from today.

Not sure if the fishes are healthy and able to fight ICH or it's just the sand which is stuck to their mucous. I don't see spots as well.

It's been 3 days since I saw the spot. But all fishes are healthy and no signs.

@Jay Hemdal

Typically, the trophonts go away and then new ones visibly return after about 36 hours, and grow larger over time. You may have dodged a bullet here, but you'll need to inspect all fish closely every day.

Jay

OP
OP
C

crezguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishes are looking good. No sign nothing. Fingers crossed. Video below .

Hope the spots were due to stress or something. Still watching them to see how it's going . @Jay Hemdal

Looks like I have to take my QT setup down. Hopefully.

Back