Disease identification - Powder Blue

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and found my powder blue tang in terrible shape. Black blotches over most of his body. Last night, there were no visual signs of this disease but I did notice him sitting in the current a little more than usual. He is in 20g quarantine with a yellow tang and they are separated by an egg crate divider. I've got a powerhead for flow and a bubble filter for airation. Temp is 76 and salinty is 1.023.

The powder blue has been in quarantine for two weeks and the yellow for three. I noticed black spots like this right when he was introduced and diagnosed it as turbellarian black spot. I treated with PraziPro and it cleared up within a couple days. Now I'm not so sure..

He has been eating voraciously (seaweed, pellets, pe mysis) and is still pulling at seaweed a little this morning. I'm currently 4 days into a Cupramine treatment for ich, which is definitely present. The yellow tang does show signs of ich, but nothing resembling this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never tried to keep a Powder Blue before, so perhaps this is some kind of natural pigmentation reaction to stress? I hesitate to add Prazi in the middle of a copper treatment.

pbt1.jpeg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing whats needed for him. But this one you have to remember, these guys basically will carry this around with them, and out of the blue if stressed out, for no reason, BAM!! what the heck did this come from, and ICH comes back. Its just nuts, but it never really leaves the tank.

OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went home to check on him over lunch and he was dead. Ate all of the algae from the clip and then keeled over within a couple hours.

Whatever this was, it's a killer.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the looks of one really,really stressed out Tang.
Sorry about the bad news.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na, thats not usually the case. It appears you had hiding places for him. Did you keep the lights off most of the time? Im pretty sure it just got the fish, what you don't see is what it does to the fishes gills, once your actually able to view it on its body, its already gotten to work on the fish itself.

Back