Diseased fish, unsure

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So I’m am in the process of upgrading my tank. I bought a neon dotty back to go in there while it cycles or startes to build up more Bactria. I used an old sponge so it’s already cycled.

There is no ammonia. Not sure about nitrates but can’t be to much since it’s been only 2 days since it has been set up with all new water.

So he is a the bottom of the tank which is normal for a dotty back but he is just laying there breathing pretty heavy. I don’t see any noticeable diseases like ich or flukes. But he does have some darkness in the middle by intestines. Not like a spot or anything more like a smudge or mark i guess. I also noticed some streaks by his fins not sure if it normal for a neon dottyback. He was eating normal earlier in the day. So not sure what is going on.
Only thought is velvet? Since it’s rapid but idk. I don’t see anything on him but i know sometimes with velvet there is no symptoms.

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So I’m am in the process of upgrading my tank. I bought a neon dotty back to go in there while it cycles or startes to build up more Bactria. I used an old sponge so it’s already cycled.

There is no ammonia. Not sure about nitrates but can’t be to much since it’s been only 2 days since it has been set up with all new water.

So he is a the bottom of the tank which is normal for a dotty back but he is just laying there breathing pretty heavy. I don’t see any noticeable diseases like ich or flukes. But he does have some darkness in the middle by intestines. Not like a spot or anything more like a smudge or mark i guess. I also noticed some streaks by his fins not sure if it normal for a neon dottyback. He was eating normal earlier in the day. So not sure what is going on.
Only thought is velvet? Since it’s rapid but idk. I don’t see anything on him but i know sometimes with velvet there is no symptoms.
My ph is low tho, very low I’ve been dozing but i guess not enough. It’s probably 7.4 or lower. Unclear with the test but I dosed again and moved the powerhead to aerating the surface.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low pH in a newly set up aquarium means high carbon dioxide. You need to vigorously break the surface tension of the water - make lots of bubbles! I use an air pump and air stone or a protein skimmer for this. If you have good aeration, then you pH test kit is likely giving you a bad reading.

The fish itself may have other issues - specifically the color change to its abdomen. Can you post a picture taken under white light?

Jay

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph in 8.0 this morning. So that’s good and he is up moving around this morning and eating but i am worried about the discoloration. This is the best pic i can get right now. The white spot is poop i believe not ich or anything. Do think maybe he’s just backed up?

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s the pics

Attachments

• CA176FA7-EE05-4175-A2C6-CDB9694693CA.jpeg
    CA176FA7-EE05-4175-A2C6-CDB9694693CA.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 57
  • C48A3B2E-9745-403D-8576-0FB782B7ABD0.jpeg
    C48A3B2E-9745-403D-8576-0FB782B7ABD0.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 5E4CB9C1-72B8-4B6A-B2C4-0BDAE778FD0B.jpeg
    5E4CB9C1-72B8-4B6A-B2C4-0BDAE778FD0B.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 9150240D-A991-4BFD-933C-6CD7D8FDF07D.jpeg
    9150240D-A991-4BFD-933C-6CD7D8FDF07D.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 56

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like about half the lesion is beyond the anal opening....that means whatever it is involves the muscle tissue, not just the abdomen. It could be a bruise, or it could be Uronema. No real treatment for either issue, so just give it time I'm afraid.

Jay

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bruise i didn’t notice at the store so maybe from going from no rock to having rocks he got excited. He been weaving in an out of every opening. It doesn’t look like a sore or anything like Uronema just in the inside. So it will just go away on it own? Should i have to worry about him being around other fish? I’m giving it two weeks regardless but just wanted to check

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms are too generalized to make a true diagnosis. Whatever it is is internal, so no indication that a bath treatment would be of any benefit, so just need to give it time I'm afraid....

Jay

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms are too generalized to make a true diagnosis. Whatever it is is internal, so no indication that a bath treatment would be of any benefit, so just need to give it time I'm afraid....

Jay
Thank you, hopefully it’s nothing. Uronema sounds like he’ll. I was thinking maybe an infection internal but idk cuz he does have some poop that won’t fall but unsure. I’ll look for more symptoms over the next few days.

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, hopefully it’s nothing. Uronema sounds like he’ll. I was thinking maybe an infection internal but idk cuz he does have some poop that won’t fall but unsure. I’ll look for more symptoms over the next few days.
So after coming back from work today I see that he does have some redness by that area or it has just got darker. He seems to be hiding as well. Won’t let me see him too much. So it hard to get a picture or even tell for my self. He’s not breathing heavy or anything anymore could have not been in the beginning i was just stressed idk. But he does spend a lot of time in the rock work. I was trying to get a look at him and i was picking up rocks and moving them to see where he was but he was tucked away in one of the rock holes and stayed there while i moved it. So possible a bruise but idk honestly. There is also swelling by his fins you can see it a bit in the pic. I did see metro can help with uronema. If caught early so might try that and try with fresh water dip. But fearful that’s too stressful. Might do metro food and dosing.

Attachments

• D147006B-5FD9-4058-95B4-159F772E71F3.jpeg
    D147006B-5FD9-4058-95B4-159F772E71F3.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 35

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had metronidazole help with Uronema, but I haven't tried it in many years. Chloroquine was a good choice, but it isn't available any long due to misuse due to Covid.

I do not see any indication that a FW dip and trying to catch it up would have any benefit at all, please don't try that.

Jay

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had metronidazole help with Uronema, but I haven't tried it in many years. Chloroquine was a good choice, but it isn't available any long due to misuse due to Covid.

I do not see any indication that a FW dip and trying to catch it up would have any benefit at all, please don't try that.

Jay
Just to confirm before i rip my tank apart uronema?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 34

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. That is either Uronema or a bacterial infection, or both together (Uronema feeds on bacteria). You won't have to strip the whole tank, Uronema is not an obligate parasite and can be isolated from most established aquariums, it just becomes a parasite on certain fish species under certain conditions (little is known what those conditions are).
You really only need to wait a couple of weeks for the Uronema numbers to fade a bit.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back