Diseases of Marine Fishes By Jay Hemdal

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, I am looking to purchase a copy of Diseases of Marine Fishes By Jay Hemdal. Any recommendations on where I can find a copy? Does this book detail some more advanced topics such as, biopsy and microscope parasite identification?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am looking to purchase a copy of Diseases of Marine Fishes By Jay Hemdal. Any recommendations on where I can find a copy? Does this book detail some more advanced topics such as, biopsy and microscope parasite identification?

Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I was the author of that book. Sorry, but that version is no longer on the market. I've since rewritten it and expanded the text to include diseases of freshwater fish and invertebrates. I actually just finished this new book two weeks ago. I added a table of contents and an index, and that helps a lot with its functionality. It is currently at 90,000 words, 282 pages with 175 images.

This manuscript is a state of flux right now, because there are really no active aquarium book publishing companies in the US. Everything is shifting to forums such as this - that isn't a bad thing I guess, just different. My last book published by TFH was in 2014.

For the time being, I have been using excerpts from the book here to try and help folks with fish disease issues, while I work at getting the book published in some fashion.

The library section and the sticky section of the fish disease forum here have some of that material....the joke is; given enough time, the entire book will end up here at some point (grin).

Jay

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I was the author of that book. Sorry, but that version is no longer on the market. I've since rewritten it and expanded the text to include diseases of freshwater fish and invertebrates. I actually just finished this new book two weeks ago. I added a table of contents and an index, and that helps a lot with its functionality. It is currently at 90,000 words, 282 pages with 175 images.

This manuscript is a state of flux right now, because there are really no active aquarium book publishing companies in the US. Everything is shifting to forums such as this - that isn't a bad thing I guess, just different. My last book published by TFH was in 2014.

For the time being, I have been using excerpts from the book here to try and help folks with fish disease issues, while I work at getting the book published in some fashion.

The library section and the sticky section of the fish disease forum here have some of that material....the joke is; given enough time, the entire book will end up here at some point (grin).

Jay
+1 on wanting to buy at least an electronic version unless I have the chance to buy a printed hardcopy!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just throw this out there... A few years ago I used to play an online game called EVE Online, and that community crowd-sourced several books about the game's history (etc.) that were extremely popular and sold very well.

So I'm not sure if a Kickstarter type of setup would work, but I think there would be a lot of interest for something like this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, any idea on a release date?
No, not yet. Depends if I find a publisher or if I have to self-publish. If I have to market it myself, it won’t be until after sailing season (grin).

Jay

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not yet. Depends if I find a publisher or if I have to self-publish. If I have to market it myself, it won’t be until after sailing season (grin).

Jay
I don’t think it’ll be an issue because you definitely have a lot of people who’ll buy it here, myself included! I’d still like to bother you time to time with my fish though

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Any updates on the publishing?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just saw that. I didn’t know if I could buy it individually.
R2R is considering selling PDFs after the member drive is over.
Print versions won’t be available - at almost 300 pages and 150+ color photos, it is too expensive to print in less than 10,000 copies….
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome. Where does one signup for this? Available now?

Try the middle selection on this page (that's what I did to join. I wonder if I'll get a copy of my own book? (grin)).

Jay

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to buy a copy of this book in ANY form. Perhaps Two Little Fishies will help out, would be a great addition to their catalog. Would absolutely LOVE a hard copy of this book regardless of the price.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to buy a copy of this book in ANY form. Perhaps Two Little Fishies will help out, would be a great addition to their catalog. Would absolutely LOVE a hard copy of this book regardless of the price.
I asked Julian if he would be interested in publishing it, but he said not now.

I’m still looking at self-publishing, but not until I’m fully retired later this year.
The soft release to partner members went pretty well, maybe R2R will do that again?

Jay

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wander if BRS would be interested? Perhaps I’m delusional, I I think there’s enough dedicated hobbyists that would actually want this book. Especially if advertised well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%

Back