Is this Standard Practice?

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear opinions from my fellow reefers on the box fee charge from LiveAquaria. They advertise shipping as free if purchasing $149+ and $29.00 for orders below that amount. It’s not until checkout or if you find the fine print that they inform you of the box charge. You also get to pay taxes on shipping and the box fee which puts it closer to $45.00. Is it dishonest, illegal, or standard practice for online livestock dealers to put hidden fees in? To me it is at least dishonest because shipping is not $29 or free, but they hide that. I’ve spent around $2000 with them, but I’m considering other choices. Just tell me the truth without hiding what you’re doing.

OP
OP
eea60123

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like that you are rushing to complete the purchase before someone else which makes it easy to miss. I honestly wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t missed out on something and gone back through my order. I never thought to look for it because I’ve made so many purchases without it occurring.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not illegal but non-disclosure on their part.
These costs should be mentioned up front and not a surprise at checkout. Tax ?? Theyre desperate and will fail to many who will not decide to purchase.
Any retailer can add on fees for any purpose. . . You don't have to pay it by walking away. Its a shame that a $49 fish can become a $100 fish after added costs SIMPLY, THEY ARE DRIVING MANY TO AN LFS FOR PURCHASE OF FISH.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to place an order the other day and noticed it as well : (
no LFS with in 100s of miles to me so online LFS are my go to.
I ordered many times of L.A over the years.

I agree wished they would have been up front about it. and Taxes booo
I paused and order corals else where. ended up spending alot more $$ to.

just be up front and honest L.A has been a gold standard in online fish stores over the years.
I hope new owner ship dont rin it in to the ground

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SIMPLY, THEY ARE DRIVING MANY TO AN LFS FOR PURCHASE OF FISH.

Interesting that convenience of shopping online once spelled doom for LFS' and now the costs associated with that are bringing people back into stores.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear opinions from my fellow reefers on the box fee charge from LiveAquaria. They advertise shipping as free if purchasing $149+ and $29.00 for orders below that amount. It’s not until checkout or if you find the fine print that they inform you of the box charge. You also get to pay taxes on shipping and the box fee which puts it closer to $45.00. Is it dishonest, illegal, or standard practice for online livestock dealers to put hidden fees in? To me it is at least dishonest because shipping is not $29 or free, but they hide that. I’ve spent around $2000 with them, but I’m considering other choices. Just tell me the truth without hiding what you’re doing.
It's not illegal... just their business practice that they have decided to institute lately. Best way to fight it is to stop buying from them and eventually they will get the picture. You can also send them a message stating your displeasure and that you won't return to them until these extra charges are removed or at least more transparent up front.

There are a lot of other really nice fish online with other vendors.

Garbage_Island

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that it's a little misleading and I can see how it would be frustrating especially if you're ordering something that costs $30-50 and all of the sudden the price doubles at checkout.

That being said, I can understand from a business perspective wanting to recoup some of the expense of packaging materials. I know they package their shipments thoroughly and that stuff does add up.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it’s extremely deceptive and borderline false advertising. Everyone knows what free shipping is. A box charge is not free shipping. Can you imagine if amazon charged you $10 box charge on every order whole advertising free shipping?

I’ve ordered from LA countless times over the past 10+ years, but I will NOT be paying a box charge.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you flew on a major airline? Stayed in a hotel, got a utility bill?
It’s everywhere..

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t ordered anything from them since the spring, but it does seem like a few things have changed. No 14 days for expert only items, box charge and that deliveries must be signed for. Can anyone confirm the latter? Wasn’t 100% clear on the website. Box charge is clearly spelled out on the shipping info page though.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t ordered anything from them since the spring, but it does seem like a few things have changed. No 14 days for expert only items, box charge and that deliveries must be signed for. Can anyone confirm the latter? Wasn’t 100% clear on the website. Box charge is clearly spelled out on the shipping info page though.

I got a DD shipment recently and didn't have to sign for it.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
much better shops out there like wwc top shelf aquatics and my favorite cherry corals. if it is fish you are after im not sure and suggestion?

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ordered from them (live in Canada) but I've always found that kind of standard in the reptile hobby (my main hobby) and never really questioned it, shipping is usually 100-150 for those guys and I know they have to pay for the heat pack, insulated boxes etc. I was surprised to see shipping corals from another province was only 40$.

Overall I think they could be more upfront about it but I've always thought it was implied, these are sensitive animals whose needs are a little more complex than what you buy on amazon. I'll pay whatever to make sure my animals arrive safe and on time. Not saying the styrofoam box has to be golden plated or anything but covering the cost of the packaging seems like a small price to pay. If they say free shipping I always assume that I'm still paying for what they ship it in.

I always thought people would be more upset if they just said the total shipping cost without breaking down how much of that price goes into the packaging.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just went to LA site and on checkout I see Shipping, Box and Tax itemized pretty clearly. I suppose they could just raise prices to cover box charge, that would be hiding it in my opinion. But that's pretty standard and wouldn't have issue with that either. I think you could make a case this is a bit more up front. It's expensive shipping water next day air maintaining temps. BlueZoo had shipping $10 higher than LA. Just cost of business online livestock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back