Disinfecting Equiptment with in a System.

Lesabrettype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a virus (lympho) and what I think was velvet in a Fish Only system. I want to disinfect everything.

I have:
pumps
sponge filters
heaters
airstones (QT tanks) - normally I'd just chuck them, but these ones are like $8 ea and I have many.
Skimmer
Reactors

Can I submerge everything in my tanks with water and beach and put the return pump and have it circulate?
Will it impact my plumbing?
I'll probably have to toss my biopellets after, right?

How long would you do this for?
Is 10PPM Chlorine sufficient?
Should I turn the skimmer and reactors, and air stones on in case there is anything in the pump itself.

This seems significantly faster than doing this by hand or trying to do in a tote.
I would of course then run fresh water through, and then dechlorinate.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would chuck the sponge filters, and probably the biopellets. Not sure about the air stones, you might be able to disinfect them without messing them up.
I normally do what you are planning to my quarantine tank after using it for new or sick fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would chuck what you can. In order to eradicate Crypto theronts and tomonts, 60 mg/L chlorine is required for 24 hours. I can only assume the same applies to velvet.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would chuck what you can. In order to eradicate Crypto theronts and tomonts, 60 mg/L chlorine is required for 24 hours. I can only assume the same applies to velvet.
I know there is a formula to figure out my question, but I just don't know what it would be, so how many qts. ( or gallons) would you need for 325 gallons?

Back