Dispar anthias quarantine protocol.

Jimbo747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four Dispar Anthias in quarantine for four days and they look very healthy and are eating frozen brine shrimp and Mysis. I would like to know the best method of quarantining them as I am new and there are conflicting opinions on how to handle this. Last fish I had in Q ( clowns ) did fresh water dip, then Prazipro and the copramine. LFS that supplied them said not to medicate, just isolate for three weeks and if healthy add to display tank. Anthias do not react well to medications. From other research some people seem to do a modified version of QT and others do full QT. Also I would like to know the best way to progress them on to pellets. QT tank is 60 litres ( 16 gals ) with Aquaclear 70 filter and a small power head for flow. Apex controlling temp and water changes at 10 % per day ( syphoning out uneaten food and waist every day ).

Thanks for your help.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias do no not handle CP well.

I believe @Brew12 recently quarantined anthias should be able to point you in the right direction:)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias do no not handle CP well.

I believe @Brew12 recently quarantined anthias should be able to point you in the right direction:)
Unfortunately, you are correct. Anthias don't tolerate CP well at all.
They are also the most difficult fish I have encountered to get through a full treatment QT. Internal uronema seems to be the most common issue with them. If I were to do it again I would use chelated copper, General Cure and Metroplex both in the food and in the water, for 10 days with transfer to a new QT.
You may have more luck if you don't medicate but right now that isn't an option for me. I proactively treat everything before it goes in my tank.

OP
OP
J

Jimbo747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I will see how much of a gamble I am willing to accept. It’s a new tank and I am trying to do everything correctly. What is the best way to get them to eat pellets and which pellets would you advise. I need to use the auto feeder for them eventually. I don’t intend to get them out of QT until eating pellets.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I will see how much of a gamble I am willing to accept. It’s a new tank and I am trying to do everything correctly. What is the best way to get them to eat pellets and which pellets would you advise. I need to use the auto feeder for them eventually. I don’t intend to get them out of QT until eating pellets.
I'm not sure I see much difference in pellets as long as it is from a respectable company. I'll probably start using the Reef Nutrition pellets when I reorder. My anthias preferred the pellets over the LRS I tried feeding them. Now they gulp down anything and everything, no issues.

OP
OP
J

Jimbo747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. I will have to decide which way to go with the meds.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have not had any fish, (so far) that started eating pellets right off the bat. They usually start eating frozen and then I start adding flake and seaweed and then when they get used to eating and will eat anything you throw in the tank, I try the pellets. I do currently have a Powder Blue Tang in QT that would not eat anything and I had to start it off with live brine shrimp. He mostly just eats seaweed now, but is starting to nibble on the flake food. I give him a few more weeks and I think he should be eating anything like all my other little pigs.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I see much difference in pellets as long as it is from a respectable company. I'll probably start using the Reef Nutrition pellets when I reorder. My anthias preferred the pellets over the LRS I tried feeding them. Now they gulp down anything and everything, no issues.

Were you able to get your hands on some TDO Chroma BOOST? If not, please reach out to us so we can direct you to the right place. The different sizes of TDO can be very helpful when feeding small-mouth fish.

Best,
Chad
Team Reef Nutrition

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to get your hands on some TDO Chroma BOOST? If not, please reach out to us so we can direct you to the right place. The different sizes of TDO can be very helpful when feeding small-mouth fish.

Best,
Chad
Team Reef Nutrition
I haven't ordered it yet, but I will be soon. Getting it couldn't be easier since it is carried by BRS. The smallest fish in my tank are some 2 year old yellow tailed damsels that are over 1" long. I'm planning on going with the C2, does that make sense as a good general feed in your opinion? I feed frozen every morning and evening with the pellets added using an auto feeder 3 times while I'm at work. I know the C2 will be small since most of my fish are much larger but I worry the EP1 may be too large. Of course, I could blend the C2 and EP1.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered it yet, but I will be soon. Getting it couldn't be easier since it is carried by BRS. The smallest fish in my tank are some 2 year old yellow tailed damsels that are over 1" long. I'm planning on going with the C2, does that make sense as a good general feed in your opinion? I feed frozen every morning and evening with the pellets added using an auto feeder 3 times while I'm at work. I know the C2 will be small since most of my fish are much larger but I worry the EP1 may be too large. Of course, I could blend the C2 and EP1.

C2 should work just fine for your needs. We usually feed EP1 and C2 in combination when feeding our tank since we have a finicky, captive-bred, Poma Labs Singapore angel that refuses to eat anything but EP1. Let me know how it goes!

Chad

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back