Dispelling the myths about glass lids on reef aquariums.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People in the hobby often repeat what they hear others say-
- “Glass lids Are bad. They get dirty and block a lot of light”
- “Clean glass drops PAR 10-20%. On top of that, the dirt, salt creep and humidity drops cut par an another 10-15% so you have to increase your lights every week to account for this then back to baseline when tops are cleaned”

I’ve been using glass lids for 17 years and strongly feel their benefits far outweigh the par loss most modern lighting is able to overcome.

• They prevent fish from jumping
  • They limit evaporation reducing your need for topoff water- expanding the duration your ato reservoir lasts.
  • They limit humidity being added to your household air
  • They limit evaporative heat loss allowing you to use much smaller heaters(risk mitigation) and save a significant amount of electricity($$$)
  • They protect your expensive lights from rogue fish splashing
  • Most importantly- they limit the effect that high CO2 household air has on your pH. Reducing gas exchange reduces carbonic acid addition to your reef.

I did a little 1 hour real world experiment using 3 new Neptune sky lights mounted over a 72”x18”x27” 150 gallon reef with admittedly yellow foggy water(I don’t use any filtration whatsoever). The bottom of the light is 3.0” above the glass, 5.0” above the water surface and 16.5” above the par sensor(11.5” under water). The par is measured with the neptune PMK(apogee sensor). The glass is a mix of what fits. Measurements were taken under the center 3.9mm thick piece of very scratched up tempered green glass. My current lighting is set to Neptune’s custom “sky” color recipe at 66% intensity. Readings were viewed without lag using the display module. All pumps were left running as usual and the average was taken after 5 minutes. My wav pumps are on 5 second alternating pulse so flow anomalies weren’t a factor.

SKY 66% - PAR - % of Max

Dirty glass - 227 - 89.0%

Clean glass - 232 - 91.0%

No glass - 255 - 100%

Sky 100%. - PAR - % of MAX

Clean glass - 330 - 89.2%

No glass - 370 - 100%

All ch 100% - PAR - % of MAX

Clean glass - 368 - 89.8%

No glass - 410 - 100%

In conclusion, clean glass cuts PAR by 10%(on average) vs no lid at all. Dirt buildup reduces PAR an additional 2%. Using my 66% sky setting as an example- if I wanted to emulate the par with no lid I just have to bump up intensity 7% to 73%. Glass lids work.

I believe this squashes the misconceptions surrounding PAR reduction however it does not address the potential shift in color spectrum. I’ll leave that up to someone who really wants to nit pick lass works for me. In another, much more thorough experiment I will address the pH “boosting”, topoff reducing and electric(heat) saving benefits of glass lids.

Image description

1- shows the amount of dirt allowed to accumulate on lids over 6 weeks

2- shows the general hazyness to the water. And wild coral growth provided glass lids don’t hold you back

3- par sensor location

4- shows the basicness of the setup. Random glass lids, hastily made light rack resting on two stacks of buckets- real world testing.

5- This is the center glass that readings were taken under. This is it CLEAN. Very hazy, scratched, hard water deposits

0E84494F-7277-4D9A-9090-9680644254CD.jpeg 4B2E1F81-9E2F-4982-8E24-BF8975B3E8A9.jpeg 88F7E2D2-BDE1-4D06-8B01-AECC58AE7099.jpeg 8150B00F-B1E8-471C-B35C-4AF5DC4B8FFE.jpeg 373D8291-01B5-4E3C-988B-EC4B359AB0E8.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was nearly convinced until reading your last point…
  • Most importantly- they limit the effect that high CO2 household air has on your pH. Reducing gas exchange reduces carbonic acid addition to your reef.

are you saying reduced gas exchange is a good thing?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People in the hobby often repeat what they hear others say-
- “Glass lids Are bad. They get dirty and block a lot of light”
- “Clean glass drops PAR 10-20%. On top of that, the dirt, salt creep and humidity drops cut par an another 10-15% so you have to increase your lights every week to account for this then back to baseline when tops are cleaned”

I’ve been using glass lids for 17 years and strongly feel their benefits far outweigh the par loss most modern lighting is able to overcome.

• They prevent fish from jumping
  • They limit evaporation reducing your need for topoff water- expanding the duration your ato reservoir lasts.
  • They limit humidity being added to your household air
  • They limit evaporative heat loss allowing you to use much smaller heaters(risk mitigation) and save a significant amount of electricity($$$)
  • They protect your expensive lights from rogue fish splashing

I did a little 1 hour real world experiment using 3 new Neptune sky lights mounted over a 72”x18”x27” 150 gallon reef with admittedly yellow foggy water(I don’t use any filtration whatsoever). The bottom of the light is 3.0” above the glass, 5.0” above the water surface and 16.5” above the par sensor(11.5” under water). The par is measured with the neptune PMK(apogee sensor). The glass is a mix of what fits. Measurements were taken under the center 3.9mm thick piece of very scratched up tempered green glass. My current lighting is set to Neptune’s custom “sky” color recipe at 66% intensity. Readings were viewed without lag using the display module. All pumps were left running as usual and the average was taken after 5 minutes. My wav pumps are on 5 second alternating pulse so flow anomalies weren’t a factor.

SKY 66% - PAR - % of Max

Dirty glass - 227 - 89.0%

Clean glass - 232 - 91.0%

No glass - 255 - 100%

Sky 100%. - PAR - % of MAX

Clean glass - 330 - 89.2%

No glass - 370 - 100%

All ch 100% - PAR - % of MAX

Clean glass - 368 - 89.8%

No glass - 410 - 100%

In conclusion, clean glass cuts PAR by 10%(on average) vs no lid at all. Dirt buildup reduces PAR an additional 2%. Using my 66% sky setting as an example- if I wanted to emulate the par with no lid I just have to bump up intensity 7% to 73%. Glass lids work.

I believe this squashes the misconceptions surrounding PAR reduction however it does not address the potential shift in color spectrum. I’ll leave that up to someone who really wants to nit pick lass works for me. In another, much more thorough experiment I will address the pH “boosting”, topoff reducing and electric(heat) saving benefits of glass lids.

Image description

1- shows the amount of dirt allowed to accumulate on lids over 6 weeks

2- shows the general hazyness to the water. And wild coral growth provided glass lids don’t hold you back

3- par sensor location

4- shows the basicness of the setup. Random glass lids, hastily made light rack resting on two stacks of buckets- real world testing.

5- This is the center glass that readings were taken under. This is it CLEAN. Very hazy, scratched, hard water deposits

0E84494F-7277-4D9A-9090-9680644254CD.jpeg 4B2E1F81-9E2F-4982-8E24-BF8975B3E8A9.jpeg 88F7E2D2-BDE1-4D06-8B01-AECC58AE7099.jpeg 8150B00F-B1E8-471C-B35C-4AF5DC4B8FFE.jpeg 373D8291-01B5-4E3C-988B-EC4B359AB0E8.jpeg

I don't like glass. Its a pain. Has to be cleaned all the time if you want it to look good. I want my tank to breath.

I have mesh but if I didn't have jumpers I would leave it open.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked to see that clean glass did not meaningfully reduce my par (ai prime light, apogee 510 par meter). I was equally shocked to see how badly a plastic substitute decreased par. I forget if it was lexan or something else. Some clear plastic (plexi glass?? I hesitate because these are all brand names). The plastic I used decreased par by like 50%. But I believe SOME plastics do not. The fancy screen lid manufacturers sell plastic inserts, so they must have found something that works.

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was nearly convinced until reading your last point…

are you saying reduced gas exchange is a good thing?
Absolutely.

I’m not talking about wrapping the tank and sump air tight with saran wrap level of reduced gas exchange- that will likely kill fish from oxygen deprivation.

I like to suggest passive minimization of gas exchange- full fitting glass lids with just a 1/3-1/2” gap at the rear for wires and a little bit of fresh air. Keep decent surface agitation with powerheads as you normally would. Avoid fans blowing air across this gap. The sump doesn’t need sealed in any special way either. Just use some timer or apex with osc code to keep ventilation fans running a minimal amount to prevent problems from humidity buildup.

In the fight against pH depression, high ambient CO2 levels are inarguably the cause of the issue. Maximizing surface agitation on an open top tank with a fan blowing over it will maximize carbonic acid in your reef leading to the lowest pH possible. Limiting the available CO2 limits pH depression

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like glass. Its a pain. Has to be cleaned all the time if you want it to look good. I want my tank to breath.

I have mesh but if I didn't have jumpers I would leave it open.
No doubt the glass is a PITA to clean. I find the tops stay clean enough for ~2 months If I keep surface agitation to a reasonable level to reduce salt spray. Typically, I never have to look at the lids because i’m a canopy guy. Light bleeding into the room is extremely distractive and drives me nuts lol.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked to see that clean glass did not meaningfully reduce my par (ai prime light, apogee 510 par meter). I was equally shocked to see how badly a plastic substitute decreased par. I forget if it was lexan or something else. Some clear plastic (plexi glass?? I hesitate because these are all brand names). The plastic I used decreased par by like 50%. But I believe SOME plastics do not. The fancy screen lid manufacturers sell plastic inserts, so they must have found something that works.

This is noteworthy. I have a clear plastic lid, I believe it's acrylic plexiglass. If your readings are true I will have to ditch my cover and go with glass.

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I never would’ve thought polycarbonate could have that much of an effect.

Some window glasses have light filtering films to limit UV and heat energy entering a building. I wouldn’t be surprised if some plastics intended for windows have similar properties.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely.

I’m not talking about wrapping the tank and sump air tight with saran wrap level of reduced gas exchange- that will likely kill fish from oxygen deprivation.

I like to suggest passive minimization of gas exchange- full fitting glass lids with just a 1/3-1/2” gap at the rear for wires and a little bit of fresh air. Keep decent surface agitation with powerheads as you normally would. Avoid fans blowing air across this gap. The sump doesn’t need sealed in any special way either. Just use some timer or apex with osc code to keep ventilation fans running a minimal amount to prevent problems from humidity buildup.

In the fight against pH depression, high ambient CO2 levels are inarguably the cause of the issue. Maximizing surface agitation on an open top tank with a fan blowing over it will maximize carbonic acid in your reef leading to the lowest pH possible. Limiting the available CO2 limits pH depression
You're right. I've run the experiment on my tank w/glass and w/o. Didn't make any difference probably because I'm running a skimmer and the amount of gas exchange down there eclipses anything happening at the surface of the water.

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. I've run the experiment on my tank w/glass and w/o. Didn't make any difference probably because I'm running a skimmer and the amount of gas exchange down there eclipses anything happening at the surface of the water.
Yes absolutely the skimmer has the largest contribution to gas exchange.

Even if the skimmer is drawing outside air, it’s still entraining a consistent 410ppm of co2 into the water. Believe it or not, there is a point where outright removing said skimmer has a positive effect on pH. I’ve been toggling dosing additives automatically between Lye, soda ash and bicarbonate for about 2.5 years now. Removing my skimmer 18 months ago was one of the best moves I made for my reef. The pH rise was admittedly minimal- 0.07-0.10 but coral health and growth increased significantly.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion. I dissagree with most of yours however. Glass lids are fine for FOWLER tanks but I much prefer an open top for a reef tank.

1) I live in a pretty dry hot climate so a little extra humidity in the house is more than welcome. I also use evaporation as a cooling mechanism in the warmer months.
2) Increasing your light output to compensate for dirty glass is a waste of electricity.
3) I have wrasses in my open top tank and never had one jump out. I believe a eouo brace helps mitigate much or the risk.
4) My pH tsts between 8.2 -8.4 24/7 so CO2 is not really a concern.
5) My lights are shileded with glass, so splashing is not really a concern for me.

If glass lids work for you AWESOME... you do you. As for me, I won't be using one.e

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a glass lid and love it. I’ve also got a Kraken lid and prefer the glass, and I’ve always know the PAR reduction was insignificant. I don’t know that I agree with the whole PH thing. My lid is on an AIO and the back chambers are uncovered and I have a skimmer and HOB refugium trickling back into the tank, so I get plenty of gas exchange. I also dose kalk saturated vinegar (doesn’t help PH, but doesn’t negatively affect it either), and my PH stays around 8.2 round the clock (refugium on oppose schedule), which is roughly the same as when I used the Kraken lid.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone try low iron glass as a lid ? make any difference ?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do prefer glass. My salt doesn’t change enough in my glass tanks to ever need an ato. While I forgot to refill it on my mesh tank before a week long trip and my salinity went up on that tank from 1.026 to 1.030 luckily not seeming to do any damage. It adds a lot of stability and that makes cleaning it and any loss of par worth it for me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, while tank tops do have substantial gas exchange, so do skimmers and unless you treat the skimmer air, the glass top effect may not be as definitive as you suggest.

Im also not sure you are not loosing some oxygenation. Have you ever measured O2 at night?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d also add that for folks like myself who used kalkwasser, evaporation can be a plus, not a negative.

it also helps cool the aquarium in hot weather, if that is a concern.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back