Dispelling the myths about glass lids on reef aquariums.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:
Are glass lids more dangerous to fish that jump regularly compared to mesh?

I ask this because a seemingly healthy fairy wrasse I had who I'd seen eating and acting normally the night before I found dead the next morning. I can't think of any other explanation for its death. Nothing else had any health problems in the tank before or after and on top of that I had heard it jump into the lid previously.

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:
Are glass lids more dangerous to fish that jump regularly compared to mesh?

I ask this because a seemingly healthy fairy wrasse I had who I'd seen eating and acting normally the night before I found dead the next morning. I can't think of any other explanation for its death. Nothing else had any health problems in the tank before or after and on top of that I had heard it jump into the lid previously.
I was worried about this when I switched from screened to glass 3 years ago, and I have a flame, earl's, and squire's fairy wrasse that all jump into the glass on a daily basis. I personally will never switch back to a screened top since I don't have to worry about salt spray anymore, and I noticed a marginal difference in ph and par after comparing with my par meter I invested in. The only caveat for me has been the temperature increase, and I started running a chiller after adding a 120 watt uv sterilizer.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious - on a scientific basis, how would having a lid on the tank keep your pH up - if you're pumping the same air in the house through the skimmer>? There shouldn't be any difference between gas exchange from the skimmer - as compared to not having a lid? (Unless you're using some CO2 reducing intake on the skimmer)
Does running a line outside for air intake doesn't help?
I don't think there is anything scientific about what I wrote. I am not equipped mentally to make such a statement. The words above are my observation. I even wrote it in form of story. My pH was better with glass lids .

Hear me out. With lids on sump and tank you have a few places where air exchange can take place. Without lids or mesh lids there is more open area for air exchange.
This more area is more near to people breathing right next to it. Like say usually you put tank in Living room or somewhere you get to enjoy it. More presence of people, if not atleast more presence of you.

Now you try to hide sump, filtration away from tank. Sometimes lower level, or enclosed stand. You don't spend more time breathing near sump either. You are atleast 6feet above breathing on your tank.

So it could be that most of the air exchange happens in sump where there is less Co2 as it might dissipate before reaching sump area.

Yes you are pumping same air in the house but don't you think the composition of air is different up in living room where you and your family watches TV, read books, work on tank, surf internet etc.
Even if stand is present is same room due to limited ways for air to travel the stand might pull air from space where there might me less Co2?

This is my observation. I could be completely wrong. But my pH was already better before I ran a line in my garage next to waste bucket.
See garage, less people breathing, less Co2.

But an open tank will have a little less pH next to one with lids.
Just my observation.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does running a line outside for air intake doesn't help?
I don't think there is anything scientific about what I wrote. I am not equipped mentally to make such a statement. The words above are my observation. I even wrote it in form of story. My pH was better with glass lids .

Hear me out. With lids on sump and tank you have a few places where air exchange can take place. Without lids or mesh lids there is more open area for air exchange.
This more area is more near to people breathing right next to it. Like say usually you put tank in Living room or somewhere you get to enjoy it. More presence of people, if not atleast more presence of you.

Now you try to hide sump, filtration away from tank. Sometimes lower level, or enclosed stand. You don't spend more time breathing near sump either. You are atleast 6feet above breathing on your tank.

So it could be that most of the air exchange happens in sump where there is less Co2 as it might dissipate before reaching sump area.

Yes you are pumping same air in the house but don't you think the composition of air is different up in living room where you and your family watches TV, read books, work on tank, surf internet etc.
Even if stand is present is same room due to limited ways for air to travel the stand might pull air from space where there might me less Co2?

This is my observation. I could be completely wrong. But my pH was already better before I ran a line in my garage next to waste bucket.
See garage, less people breathing, less Co2.

But an open tank will have a little less pH next to one with lids.
Just my observation.
OK - it's my observation - that the fact that when there are 10 people in my house and the windows are closed - that the pH drops. Suggesting that the air surround the tank (the CO2 content) - has a lot to do what the eventual pH in the tank will equilibrate to. This is well shown when a tank whose pH ranges from 8.1-8.3 with windows open drops to 7.9-8.1 when the windows are shut - and the air or furnace is turned on at various season changes.

Thus, since you're pumping (in most cases) air from the same house into the tank - I just don't see a reason why or how a lid would stabilize pH. I wondered if you had an explanation - a scientific explanation was perhaps too strong of a wording. But - I would say there are scientific explanations/reasons why what you're saying to me does not make sense.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe someone more smart can explain.

It is happening to me. Could be an exception.
But my elos rimless ran at 8.1pH
My covered 300g runs 8.25 8.3

Right now my tank is in fallow. So I haven't turn lights on in 3 months. Even now my runs at 8.21 pH no lights 3 months.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221003-132938_APEX Fusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20221003-132938_APEX Fusion.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 20

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe someone more smart can explain.

It is happening to me. Could be an exception.
But my elos rimless ran at 8.1pH
My covered 300g runs 8.25 8.3

Right now my tank is in fallow. So I haven't turn lights on in 3 months. Even now my runs at 8.21 pH no lights 3 months.
1. It could be the meter.
2. It could be the contents (btw - which tank is in fallow - assuming its the 300 gallon)
3. It depends on when your measures are taken.

@Randy Holmes-Farley would be interested in your comments

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first posted in this thread, I had just taken my tops off and mounted them to the lights maybe a few weeks prior.
Since, I'm struggling to hit a ph of 8.
I bought a co2 meter that should be in today. I think my house is going to be high in co2 :(
My skimmer pulls from an outside line. I might have to put lid back on. We will see.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been using glass tops forever. I dont have a ph issue, condensation is reduced and the splashing drastically reduced.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014 and @vetteguy53081 I‘ve had lids on my 120 since day one a few years ago, and so far so good! On the lighting I just set my PAR with the lids on, and try to keep the glass clean. For oxygenation, I figure you still get gas exchange below the lids and also in the sump — I’m running a skimmer so I know I’m adding air to the mix. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Dburr1014 and @vetteguy53081 I‘ve had lids on my 120 since day one a few years ago, and so far so good! On the lighting I just set my PAR with the lids on, and try to keep the glass clean. For oxygenation, I figure you still get gas exchange below the lids and also in the sump — I’m running a skimmer so I know I’m adding air to the mix. Thanks!
I have small cutout to allow gas exchange and Do have to wipe the glass bottom weekly but worth it

Back