Display Macro Algae on AIO vs Refugium

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so dumb question maybe.

I understand the concept of a Refugium…finally set one up in our larger tank with a sump.

However in our AIOs… would adding a pretty macro algae (ie: glittery dragons breath) in the display do a similar thing…pull phosphate and nitrates out?

Or does it have to grow with a different light schedule? Or what?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so dumb question maybe.

I understand the concept of a Refugium…finally set one up in our larger tank with a sump.

However in our AIOs… would adding a pretty macro algae (ie: glittery dragons breath) in the display do a similar thing…pull phosphate and nitrates out?

Or does it have to grow with a different light schedule? Or what?
You can still grow it in your display but likely the amount that you have in there will not be enough to significantly see a difference in nutrient levels- depending on how much you have of macroalgae and nutrients of course. It could also limit your livestock choice as you may not want something in there that will eat it or might need to be pruned back more so that it doesn't overtake/shade coral. I believe this is why you see many that end up with display refugiums or macroalgae AIO tanks, and that is all that is all that is primarily kept in there.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some 2 dollar petco gracilaria growing in my fluval 13.5 and it caused my nutrients to bottom out. Ended up with a dino outbreak. This was before adding turbo snails that eat gracilaria.

Now I have the second chamber of the ‘sump’ stuffed with the same algae and a cheap-o Amazon light on an opposite light schedule. Keeps everything on track with biweekly trimming. And monthly 5 gal water changes.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other component of keeping your macroalgae in your refugium (and why most do over the display) is you can run the algae on a light cycle opposite your main display, with the goal of reducing dissolved C02 in your system through photosynthesis - thus helping to keep the pH more stable throughout the entire day/night cycle. You could also do both - I had gracilaria in my display, and most cleanup crew won't eat it other than algae eating fish and urchins.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back