Display tank in my office but keeping the sump in the garage

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some guidance for a plumbing idea . I am currently in the process of moving and where my display tank will go is in my office and the wall it backs up to, the garage will be on the other side. In theory if I kept my sump in the garage I would then reduce the noice drastically.

the things I am concerned with is of course temp and I am in Fl, would cars in a garage be an issue, and pests.

am I just over thinking it or for those who have done this please let me know how it worked and what you would have done differently.

thanks in advance

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot hear my tank when running. Whats loud in the sump?
I have no bubbling or running water sound or splashing. Just a very low hum of the return pump and thats it.
The water bowl for the dog is louder than my tanks.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume anything in your car exhaust could end up in the water at some point especially over a long period of time. I would think there would be a good amount of contaminants you wouldn’t want in your tank in exhaust fumes. Also have to think about contamination from any cleaners or chemicals you use in there as I have heard some horror stories of people just spraying cleaner near the tank and having ammonia spikes.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer, chiller, and UV sits in indoor/outdoor room on the other side of the wall. I also have 2 tanks running stand alone out there, no issues with pests, though a bug falls in sometimes, probably just some extra food.
As far as temperature, you will need a chiller in Florida summer, and when heating in winter always cover the sump or heat will go right out.
Car shouldn't be an issue assuming you aren't running the car with the garage door closed.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Car shouldn't be an issue assuming you aren't running the car with the garage door closed.
Shouldn’t being the key word there. Hopefully someone with experience in doing this can chime in. Even running it with the door open will leave exhaust fumes in the air for a bit and on a day with no wind they would hang around longer probably just to be sealed in as soon as the car leaves. Compound the effect even if small over years and I don’t think the results would be good. I think someone who has had this setup for multiple years is probably the only way to know for sure. I might be flat out wrong but I would lean on the side of caution with these tanks.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my experience. I have a 40g in my garage. I’m located in the Midwest, no cars are parked in my garage and I make sure to keep the doors closed when burning leaves, cutting grass, when the neighbor gets his lawn treated etc..
I’ve used oil based paints and stains in the garage with the tank also.
My biggest issue is bugs attracted to the light and ending up in the tank.

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some guidance for a plumbing idea . I am currently in the process of moving and where my display tank will go is in my office and the wall it backs up to, the garage will be on the other side. In theory if I kept my sump in the garage I would then reduce the noice drastically.

the things I am concerned with is of course temp and I am in Fl, would cars in a garage be an issue, and pests.

am I just over thinking it or for those who have done this please let me know how it worked and what you would have done differently.

thanks in advance

I have a coral qt in my garage and mixing cans in garage. I use a $400 window unit for April to October in NC for the warm season. Kept garage at 78 degrees and didn’t notice an electric bill increase. I have insulated garage door and walls. My wife’s suv adds about 6 degrees of heat into the garage so she parks outside during the warm season.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a false wall and ceiling to keep it seperate from the rest of the garage, add vents to outside and a door to access the sump

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do any projects in the garage? I’m thinking about sawdust (etc.) everywhere; plus garages are pretty much known for grit and grime, no?

cthetoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300g tank in the main house and a 150g sump in the garage. No issues and would never have a sump in the house again. Sump easier to maintain and manage since its just a sump. I also have an external skimmer in the garage. Skimmer overflowed but since it was in the garage no biggie to clean up.
Out here in California the garage can hit 90 degrees. I still use only fans to cool the sump which then cools the display tank to 80 degrees. I have a chiller as a backup but never used it yet. No issues with exhaust from cars. We dont idle our cars in the garage. We just start the car and drive off.

Back