Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one get rid of unwanted corals and marine plants that nobody wants, in an ethical way to not violate TOS?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could give them away, sell them, donate them to the LFS etc..

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about aiptasia? No one wants aiptasia that I know of, so to not violate the TOS we are no longer to kill it or risk being banned?
Cmon man

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(not really sure how to post gifs but there you go)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok but often times that is just not possible, so what to do?

Don't talk about it???? LOL!

I don't know really. I hate to lose anything much less throw it away. This could really make a good discussion though!

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feel bad throwing away coral trimmings that aren’t worth selling or giving away. Used to break off huge plates of montis at a time. Marine plants like chaeto I throw away all the time.

Fish on the other hand are a different story. Those you need to give away to appropriate homes or LFS. Need to figure something out. That’s our responsibility I think.

Edit: did the original post get changed? I swear it said animals as well.

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't talk about it???? LOL!

I don't know really. I hate to lose anything much less throw it away. This could really make a good discussion though!

I agree on that!! I mean some things like aiptasia are gold and for some not. Like palys one man treasure is another’s trash? So what do we do lol but ya not talk about it

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about aiptasia? No one wants aiptasia that I know of, so to not violate the TOS we are no longer to kill it or risk being banned?
Cmon man

Don't be a drama queen. No one is getting banned for killing aiptasia or nuisance algae etc..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree on that!! I mean some things like aiptasia are gold and for some not. Like palys one man treasure is another’s trash? So what do we do lol but ya not talk about it

Ever heard of Texa Trash Palys? HAHA!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added a poll. We may feature this one tomorrow.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't cook it. There's like, 5 different articles on why boiling corals is a Very Bad Idea, amongst them palytoxin reigns supreme.

With macroalgaes/plants, I would freeze them, then my mom would use them as fertilizer for her garden plants. Strangely, her garden plants have bloomed quite nicely...

Corals are more difficult. At the end of the day, they're invertebrates which (I think) have nerves, and a quick death is probably the best option available. I guess you could freeze them and dispose of them that way. But I'm of the opinion that somebody's trash, is another person's treasure...at the same time, that treasure might not be worth that much. Aiptasia can be repurposed for berghia nudibranchs. Amphipods to a mandarin dragonet. Texas Trash Palythoas to a zoanthid eating nudibranch. For some reason, it's always more ethical if something gets to eat it...

Granted...I should probably review the TOS now...

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this does pose the question of how ethical it is to kill a coral and then use its skeleton. Example: using Turbinaria or Montipora coral that's fashioned as a "cup" once dead as a seahorse feeder, or using flat dead Monti coral as a base for fragging/coral rubble/calcium reactor....

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are somebody somewhere wants what you don’t (Minus aiptasia...that’s like a tank STD). For example I just picked up a decent sized colt coral a fellow reefer did not want because he seemed to want the real estate for something else.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes.

A couple of years ago there was a newbie or two in my area. I reached out, I could set you up with easy softies, help with tanks, etc. I have yet to hear back.

I also question ethics with my tank having vemetid snails, aiptasia, etc, etc. etc. Considering that QT is more of a thing now than when I was swapping corals years ago, I would disclose the pests I have. I feel that would probably deter many people from wanting anything from my tank. I also feel I should disclose that if I was bringing my stuff to a good LFS.

Most of the people I find in the hobby around me are easily an hour away, so If I was going to meet it would have to be worth my while. When there was a local club it was much easier trading/selling, but even then I was one of the few members making 1.5 hour drives to meetings.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one get rid of unwanted corals and marine plants that nobody wants, in an ethical way to not violate TOS?
I throw away xenia all the time. It grows just like a weed. I’ve offered and given away thousands of heads. No one wants nor needs them so I rip them out and throw away. I used to feel bad but not anymore.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are at couple of vendors I can think of that sell things to kill animals here on this site. That animal: aiptasia

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back