Ditch the AI Hydras for GHL Mitras 7206?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 425xl (4’ x20”wide x 22” deep roughly) and I have 2 hydra 26’s... I will be keeping mostly lps coral maybe with a few sps down the line. Corals are still in quarantine atm but I found a really good deal on the GHL lights in my area & it got me thinking about this..

Are the hydras adequate for this size reef?
How much better are the GHL lights?

Thanks in advance!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy the GHL lights if I had the Hydra 26 already. I think it would be only a side move. Your stuff is all still new (to you). I don't think you're gaining anything switching at this point. Just let it all go as is. I think the only thing to upgrade to would be adding more lighting rather than replacing. You could add a T-s hybrid set up around your AI lights.

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy the GHL lights if I had the Hydra 26 already. I think it would be only a side move. Your stuff is all still new (to you). I don't think you're gaining anything switching at this point. Just let it all go as is. I think the only thing to upgrade to would be adding more lighting rather than replacing. You could add a T-s hybrid set up around your AI lights.

Well adding a t5 hybrid later on would cost me more (real good deal on these Mitras) and I wouldn’t have the controllability unless I had an apex/Profilux for the 1-10v interface.
I’ve heard some people say the hydras won’t give enough par over this size tank but you are right that it’s all new to me so I don’t really know.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be limited in what you can keep down the road with only two AI 26's. The GHL lights are certainly a much more powerful and arguably a higher quality light with greater spread. No experience with either, but I have not heard of any complaints about the Mitras, other than the cost. Cannot say that about AI. It is really a question if you want to invest in such a high end light when you are starting out. You may decide you would rather go with T5 supplements down the road. Ultimately depends on your budget and the deal you getting.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 has the mitras, The hybrid is what I have on a xl425 along with xr15's . if you plan on having 2 mitras that's plenty, ....Buy the lights and if you dont like it pass them on. you may make a buck or 3

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't personally think that 2 x Hydra26's are enough for a tank that size. I LOVE Hydras and use them myself, but I would add another at the very least. Also adding the T5 hybrid would work even better.

Ultimately I don't think you could go wrong with either option.

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be limited in what you can keep down the road with only two AI 26's. The GHL lights are certainly a much more powerful and arguably a higher quality light with greater spread. No experience with either, but I have not heard of any complaints about the Mitras, other than the cost. Cannot say that about AI. It is really a question if you want to invest in such a high end light when you are starting out. You may decide you would rather go with T5 supplements down the road. Ultimately depends on your budget and the deal you getting.

Yeah its a great deal.. and factoring in what I can sell my hydras for makes it even better. Thanks!

@Brew12 has the mitras, The hybrid is what I have on a xl425 along with xr15's . if you plan on having 2 mitras that's plenty, ....Buy the lights and if you dont like it pass them on. you may make a buck or 3

Thanks. Big drawback for me with the mitras is their mounting options.. I really would rather just simply mount them onto the glass & that helps hide the cords also. Might not sound like much but the point of all of this is to make our reefs to look amazing right? Lol

I don't personally think that 2 x Hydra26's are enough for a tank that size. I LOVE Hydras and use them myself, but I would add another at the very least. Also adding the T5 hybrid would work even better.

Ultimately I don't think you could go wrong with either option.

One thing that bugs me a bit is I can see red banding on the sand bed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back