Diver's Den "quality"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Morphinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting the African imperator off DD now second guessing it .. been out of the sw hobby about 6 years before than DD was the place to go for fish
I wouldn’t even bother. I bought a flame angel from divers den for $160. That’s already an outrageous price for a flame angel as they average about 90-100$ typically in a LFS but I bit the bullet because I wanted one badly. The picture of the fish showed it was in perfect condition but when I received the fish it had fin nips and looked like it got beat up. I immediately called LA and took pictures. They made me send in the pictures and took 3 days to “graciously” credit me 80$ because they didn’t feel the damage to the fish would cause it to die. By the time I got the response the fish was already dead. I never got my other 80$ Refunded.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received multiple fish from LA, (they shipped all but one fish for some reason and my questioning of when it will ship has gone unanswered) most of the fish I received were DOA with one dying the next day. I submitted the claims online last week and have only heard back about one claim. A clownfish I ordered was dead, it stunk when I opened the box and the water was cloudy. I took a picture of the fish in the bag due to the smell. That claim was denied but I’m yet to hear on my other fish. I understand the policy of taking it out of the bag etc, but I didn’t want to deal with the dead fish smell in the bag when it was strong outside the bag.
It has become rather frustrating. I used to order from LA for all my fish needs and have great luck. The last few order I cannot believe how many fish are showing up DOA or dying shortly afterwards. It’s sad. They get you with the credit, because you have to reorder. I might just buy some dry goods if I ever get in touch with customer service about my remaining claims. Although they still are shipping one tang to me at some point. I’ve asked over a week ago and got no response. The customer service has gone downhill some I believe. I really hope it turns around as a whole because I’m setting up my tank after moving and need to add some fish and I always liked ordering them from LA, but not lately.
I know Divers Den was supposed to better, is it?

corey

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@biecacka Thank you for your recent orders. We sincerely apologize for the losses you experienced. We do show credits were issued for one Purple Stripe Dottyback, two Pajama Cardinalfish, and one Pink Skunk Clownfish for a total of $53.87. We will reach out for discuss further.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a bummer. 10 years ago divers den couldn't be beat. It was really the best possible way to buy fish. I remember thinking that there was no possible way that local fish stores could keep up with them for price or quality. Now my LFS has fish that are routinely cheaper than even non DD items.

Really did love being a LA DD customer but there is no way that I can justify buying from them given how common stories like this have become.

I just hope they can turn it around.

Morphinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a bummer. 10 years ago divers den couldn't be beat. It was really the best possible way to buy fish. I remember thinking that there was no possible way that local fish stores could keep up with them for price or quality. Now my LFS has fish that are routinely cheaper than even non DD items.

Really did love being a LA DD customer but there is no way that I can justify buying from them given how common stories like this have become.

I just hope they can turn it around.
Not only is LA/DD stupidly expensive but the quality is absolute trash. I cannot say enough, there is zero reason to purchase on LA/DD unless they have a super rare fish. There are way too many other great vendors who will do the right thing.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really upsetting to read. For most of us we would hope for a refund but it's more about receiving dead or very sick fish! That is heartbreaking!! I would be devastated especially if it happens multiple times afterall these are living creatures that have to go through this! :-(

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really upsetting to read. For most of us we would hope for a refund but it's more about receiving dead or very sick fish! That is heartbreaking!! I would be devastated especially if it happens multiple times afterall these are living creatures that have to go through this! :-(
Yeah it presents a real conundrum. I get that to companies that sell fish, they are a commodity. To people who keep fish, they are not.

And it's one thing when a freshwater fish is sick... most of them are bred in captivity...but with most reef fish it's a matter of both the ethics of selling sick fish AND the issue of them having been taken from a wild (likely struggling) reef.

Like I said, it used to be that LA was just impossible to beat. I don't know what happened. I WANT to be a LA customer. The quality needs to go back up before I can be. They have the capacity to do a hard core medicated QT and sell at the best prices in the industry. I hope they bother with it.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it presents a real conundrum. I get that to companies that sell fish, they are a commodity. To people who keep fish, they are not.

And it's one thing when a freshwater fish is sick... most of them are bred in captivity...but with most reef fish it's a matter of both the ethics of selling sick fish AND the issue of them having been taken from a wild (likely struggling) reef.

Like I said, it used to be that LA was just impossible to beat. I don't know what happened. I WANT to be a LA customer. The quality needs to go back up before I can be. They have the capacity to do a hard core medicated QT and sell at the best prices in the industry. I hope they bother with it.
Exactly! For me it's less about losing the money than it is about losing the livestock! And what's worse is that we're the ones that have to deal with the emotional fallout when they arrive dead or sick/barely alive and this obviously applies to all stores selling livestock.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to buy most of my fish from DD. Where are you all buying your fish from now?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@biecacka Thank you for your recent orders. We sincerely apologize for the losses you experienced. We do show credits were issued for one Purple Stripe Dottyback, two Pajama Cardinalfish, and one Pink Skunk Clownfish for a total of $53.87. We will reach out for discuss further.
@LiveAquaria - thank you for the response. More often than not that is all a consumer wants, to be heard. I didn’t come here for free things, just to voice my frustration with losing a vendor that used to be superior to all others. Maybe not losing, but it is hard when we buy fish and the quality is poor. Yea we get a credit and such, but then we still have to pay “box charges and possibly shipping” so it can turn into a revolving door until the animals are better. I totally get that DOA can and does happen to other companies. You aren’t the only one. I know that.
However, I would like to thank you for your response here and the detailed voice message you left me. For those reading they left me a message stating the tang never shipped because it didn’t pass a health check, so it appears they are shipping based on a screening. I think that’s good to know. I will reach out to you via phone to discuss the “back order “ ending on the fish.
Again, thank you for reaching out and caring.
corey

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been purchasing a lot of fishes lately to stock my new 180g. So far DD has been my go to for healthy fish.. bonus they have a 7 day guarantee compared to a lot of other vendors. Reefprostore sent me some fish that had parasites and uronema and didn't accept responsibilities even tho they claim to condition their fishes. A lot of vendors will only cover doa and that's it! Just bought a copper band and a blue spot jawfish from DD just because i know these guys are hard to keep alive with the 7 day guarantee at least i know i'm somewhat covered.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, when I shop LA I usually order from DD because that's where the rarer stuff I'm usually looking for is. My past couple orders have been somewhat disappointing.

A few months ago, I grabbed a Wetmorella albofasciata (white-banded possum wrasse) from there, since they're rather hard to come by. For the price, ($160, if I recall correctly), I figured I'd get a specimen that was relatively outgoing and eating. Wasn't really the case; the fish hid constantly and I never saw it eat. She died a few weeks later, despite the many foods I offered her in a tank by herself (so no competition or intimidation/bullying from others). Granted, the fish was in good condition when it came in, and I've kept the other two species of possum wrasse so I know they can be challenging, so I chalked it up to bad luck and moved on.

Today, I received a leopard toby puffer (Canthigaster leoparda) from DD, a fish I have been looking for for literal years, and while it arrived alive, it seems unfortunately skinny for a toby puffer (having dealt with dozens of tobies through work and personal keeping). It's the first day, so if it survives the shipping stress hopefully some deworming and meaty foods can fatten it up over time; I'm just disappointed with the condition of the fish. (Notice the exposed lower-jaw bone/sunken stomach and skinny top-down profile of the individual)
IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG

That being said, and maybe I'm misunderstanding their process, but I thought DD had a 2 or 3 week observation period where they make sure the fish has no visible diseases and is eating well. How is it acceptable for them to ship out fish that aren't eating/in poor physical condition like this? Am I not paying a premium for these fish to supposedly receive more specialized care? Sorry for the rant, it's just aggravating to deal with these issues from such a reputable seller.

This has been normal for a long while now. I bought a leopard toby from them about 1.5 to 2 years ago and it also was super skinny and poor condition and eventually perished. Quality was good many years ago when Dr Foster owned them.

Sorry you didn't know before wasting your money. People who have success with them are probably not ordering more difficult/fragile fish. I feel like some of these fish are worse off with them holding them for 2-3 weeks. They spend 2-3 weeks in a unnatural environment and clearly some of their fish are not eating. If you look at some of the photos closely, you can see problems with some of the fish not even marked 'blemish'.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwaterfish.com is my go to, great policy and the one time I had DOA, they reshipped immediately at no additional cost to me. They also have a 14 day guarantee.

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LiveAquaria - thank you for the response. More often than not that is all a consumer wants, to be heard. I didn’t come here for free things, just to voice my frustration with losing a vendor that used to be superior to all others. Maybe not losing, but it is hard when we buy fish and the quality is poor. Yea we get a credit and such, but then we still have to pay “box charges and possibly shipping” so it can turn into a revolving door until the animals are better. I totally get that DOA can and does happen to other companies. You aren’t the only one. I know that.
However, I would like to thank you for your response here and the detailed voice message you left me. For those reading they left me a message stating the tang never shipped because it didn’t pass a health check, so it appears they are shipping based on a screening. I think that’s good to know. I will reach out to you via phone to discuss the “back order “ ending on the fish.
Again, thank you for reaching out and caring.
corey
@biecacka Thank you for your response. We appreciate having the opportunity to reach out and discuss your orders. Our top priority is the health of the specimens. Please feel free to reach out and discuss any other concerns. Thank you for choosing LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. Please have a nice day.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LiveAquaria, just following up on this. My tang finally shipped and I got an email saying it was delayed from fedex. Got it today (instead of yesterday) and I must say I was very surprised. It was in a good sized bag with air and the fish seemed to be in good shape. Acclimated it and let it go, it seems to be doing well.

thank you for following up on this

corey

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LiveAquaria, just following up on this. My tang finally shipped and I got an email saying it was delayed from fedex. Got it today (instead of yesterday) and I must say I was very surprised. It was in a good sized bag with air and the fish seemed to be in good shape. Acclimated it and let it go, it seems to be doing well.

thank you for following up on this

corey
@biecacka Thank you for the update. We sincerely apologize for the FedEx shipping delay, and we are glad to hear the tang is doing well. Please let us know if we can provide any further assistance.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not the same exact photo when I click on it. The backgrounds and sand are probably photoshoot props.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not the same exact photo when I click on it. The backgrounds and sand are probably photoshoot props.
Ok yep I see some small differences in the anal fin as well but dang, guess I am still grumpy about the time I order a captive bred Meridithi Angel and received a damsel, still don't have my angel but at least they refunded me

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back