Divers den yasha goby swim bladder

Kenyon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help guys I ordered a captive bred yasha goby from divers den and upon arrival the fish seemed ok but was having a bad buoyancy issue from shipping I assume.. Anyway he is struggling to stay underwater due to the air in his bladder and I have to make a tough decision whether to leave him alone and hope for a miracle or try to relieve the air in his bladder with I tiny insulin syringe which is a terrifying procedure on a fish this small.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I attached a video that shows he is clearly trying to stay down but it’s not happening.

Attachments

• IMG_7269.MOV
    39 MB
OP
OP
Kenyon

Kenyon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I already have and their response was “Try to feed it a frozen pea”!!! I doubt a tiny yasha goby that is in distress is gonna want to eat his vegetables for dinner. But they basically said send them a picture if it dies... It really sucks because he is trying so hard but can’t get the air out of his bladder. Another thing to note is the water temp was 70 degrees when the fish arrived and there was only one heat pack. Maybe the temperature shock did it.....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw, that's a shame, nice fish! How long has it been like this?

I've "needled" hundreds of fish over the years and it literally has never worked, except when I was collecting deep water fish and bled off the excess gas while bringing fish to the surface. In all other cases where fish developed positive buoyancy like this, needling them gave temporary relief, but the issue would always return. I even made a pressure chamber - but same deal, I could get them neutrally buoyant, but then when I released the pressure, they would float again. Some fish will get better on their own though.

Now - I can't be certain that this is actually a gas bladder issue - see how the entire gut is distended? It could be gas in the intestines produced by bacteria.

Oh, and that frozen pea idea? That makes me smile every time I hear it - it was devised for a specific issue with fancy goldfish and was never meant for this sort of problem. An aquarist at the Shedd Aquarium taught me that 40 years ago, but he never used it on marine fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Kenyon

Kenyon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response he has been this way since he arrived this morning at 10:30.. Its a captive bred yasha so no issue with collecting it from deep water. He has found a small spot in the rocks that will hold him down and seems to have calmed down a lot.. maybe time will take fix it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response he has been this way since he arrived this morning at 10:30.. Its a captive bred yasha so no issue with collecting it from deep water. He has found a small spot in the rocks that will hold him down and seems to have calmed down a lot.. maybe time will take fix it.
I’d wait at least 48 hours before trying needling. If it is just over inflation from being in low pressure on the plane, it may resolve on its own by then
Jay

Back