CB Maleficent

514.JPG

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of my newer acros that I'm super excited about. In daylight it has this neon yellow color. In blue light (which I am terrible at capturing) it has a green neon glow that is on par or better than my BKChem Fruitloops. You can see it across the room.

SBB Yellow Jacket

513.JPG
Gorgeous. All the money I took to Reefapalooza NY I gave to Shane. He has some amazing stuff.

I love that he writes the name of the piece on the plug. I can see the lettering on the stem in ur pic. I have the memory of a goldfish so I find this touch very helpful.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After it attacked my Walt Disney, killing off half the colony (it's still in a very slllooowww STN...), I started trimming back my ASD Rainbow. I've been cutting big hunks off it to get it to a better size for my tank and the surrounding corals.

ASD Rainbow Milli

516.JPG

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike! Tank looks great!

Are you still running a CO2 scrubber? I seen where you have it recirculating through your skimmer. How is that going for you? I just ordered a scrubber from BRS. My pH was reading on the high side for some time and I decided it was time to calibrate tbe probe since it's been awhile. After calibrating the probe it is actually low. 7.8-8.1. I was originally thinking of dosing kalk again to raise it bit decided to try a scrubber.

How do you like the scrubber and did you see any noticeable changes with the tank?

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike! Tank looks great!

Are you still running a CO2 scrubber? I seen where you have it recirculating through your skimmer. How is that going for you? I just ordered a scrubber from BRS. My pH was reading on the high side for some time and I decided it was time to calibrate tbe probe since it's been awhile. After calibrating the probe it is actually low. 7.8-8.1. I was originally thinking of dosing kalk again to raise it bit decided to try a scrubber.

How do you like the scrubber and did you see any noticeable changes with the tank?
Hey Josh,

Yes, I did start using the scrubber on my tank again. I recirculate from my skimmer lid which allows the media to last a month. Right now I have it set up to turn my skimmer off when I hit 8.2. But with the lights on, my pH will continue up to 8.4 before lights start shutting off at 8pm. So my pH is fluctuating from 8.0-8.4 with the scrubber.

Honestly I’d rather run my pH a little lower, say around 8.3. The first time I tried a scrubber a couple years ago, I just let it run all the time and pH would get to 8.5 or a little higher. I had tremendous precipitation issues and my pumps clogging up and locking. Where I’m running now I don’t have any issues with that.

The corals are variable running the higher pH. Some have better colors, some not so much. Growth is definitely better as is considerably higher Alk and Cal usage. I’m going through almost 2 gallons of each every 30 days! I’m not really sold either way honestly.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Josh,

Yes, I did start using the scrubber on my tank again. I recirculate from my skimmer lid which allows the media to last a month. Right now I have it set up to turn my skimmer off when I hit 8.2. But with the lights on, my pH will continue up to 8.4 before lights start shutting off at 8pm. So my pH is fluctuating from 8.0-8.4 with the scrubber.

Honestly I’d rather run my pH a little lower, say around 8.3. The first time I tried a scrubber a couple years ago, I just let it run all the time and pH would get to 8.5 or a little higher. I had tremendous precipitation issues and my pumps clogging up and locking. Where I’m running now I don’t have any issues with that.

The corals are variable running the higher pH. Some have better colors, some not so much. Growth is definitely better as is considerably higher Alk and Cal usage. I’m going through almost 2 gallons of each every 30 days! I’m not really sold either way honestly.

Yes, that is what I am going for. When I was using kalk a year ago my growth was great and pH was around the same, 8.3-8.5. My apex has read 8.4-8.6 for awhile which I assumed had to be wrong. I calibrated a couple days ago and now my pH is reading the lowest its ever been. 7.8-8.15. I am using 2part now. My growth is really slow and although it is related to other things as well, I think pH is contributing to it.

You can see here where my pH was at until I calibrated this week.
Screenshot_20211125-204401_APEX Fusion.jpg

Do you have pictures of your recirculating setup?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it's been busy with out of town Thanksgiving guests and family get togethers. Here's a couple pics that show my very simple setup. Air is pulled from the lid of my skimmer cup into my srubber which is mounted higher than the skimmer. I've heard if it's lower it can fill up with water. The air is pulled through the scubber into the intake on my skimmer silencer.

524.JPG

525.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back