DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very rectangular!
I know, that's the problem with it being in the corner of my tank. ;Woot I guess I never thought it would get that big... ;Facepalm

Oh, and I chopped off that whole back section because it was growing too close to my little RRU Angry Birds. I need to do some chopping and round it out a little better.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, that's the problem with it being in the corner of my tank. ;Woot I guess I never thought it would get that big... ;Facepalm

Oh, and I chopped off that whole back section because it was growing too close to my little RRU Angry Birds. I need to do some chopping and round it out a little better.
Ha I still like it it's different :D

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Nick, SchnitzelReef in LA. It had a bit of a rough ride home and didn't grow much for a LONG time. For some reason it seems to be super rare in the Bay Area and I don't know any others who have it. It's probably my favorite milli in my tank, maybe even more than RMF Acid Trip.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story, if you look at the far right of the Sapphire pic, you see a little green acro with red tips. My son was watching when I was going through my photos and asked, "What's that coral?". I hadn't even noticed it. About 6 months ago a little frag of BC Hyperberry went missing from the back of one of our rocks. I thought for sure it was lost...until now. We saved it and moved it to a plug. I would have never noticed it and it's only visible by looking top down.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Nick, SchnitzelReef in LA. It had a bit of a rough ride home and didn't grow much for a LONG time. For some reason it seems to be super rare in the Bay Area and I don't know any others who have it. It's probably my favorite milli in my tank, maybe even more than RMF Acid Trip.

I agree it's one of my favorites for sure. It is rare but I have seen one online call a Tranquil Mille that I think may also be the same coral, but no others locally. I have actually sold two frags to Bay Area reefers, but It has been a few years and I'm not sure if either of them still have it or if they are even still in the hobby. Mine came from Adam at BC around seven years ago or so, I know he doesn't have it any more. Schnitzel sure had a nice colony.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! so is most of your flow going from bottom up? I would be interested to see a video on some of your corals to see how the flow is.
Yes, it flows from the bottom rear corners forward and up towards the middle and circles around. It provides high indirect flow to most of the tank. I run my two MP40's at 90% Reefcrest, Antisync, 24/7.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In August I started an experiment of slowly removing GFO from my tank. For years I had run 8 Tbsp HC GFO, switched out 1x/month. I ended up keeping my reactor offline for about 6 months. In October, I did a 2-week Reef Flux treatment when I saw some Bryopsis showing in a couple spots. In the process I broke two of my cardinal rules.

1. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
2. Don't make two changes at the same time.

The good news is my tank didn't crash and I didn't lose all my acros. This is not one of those stories. But near the end of the second week of my Reef Flux treatment my JF Fox Flame headed south and kept going. It's essentially dead now. There are a few parts alive and I'm too sentimental to just remove it completely. Recently I started noticing some annoyance on my ARC Fireworks as well. I saw no change in my other acros.

Throughout the removal of GFO, I've continued to do periodic Phosphate checks and noticed it trending up starting around the end of October. My guess is that with GFO offline, phosphate was increasing in the tank but the increasing Bryopsis was maintaining the uptake. Once the Reef Flux eradicated the Bryopsis, my phosphate started to trend up. When it hit 0.17 I decided enough was enough and started to slowly add GFO back around New Years.

So what does this tell me? I don't think it's necessarily bad running high Phosphate/Nitrate. Many tanks do absolutely fantastic with high levels of both. I think for my tank it was too much of a change from a level it had been running at for years. For my tank, keeping Nitrate/Phosphate closer to 5/0.05 works best.

388.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back